Thread: What I want for Christmas

Default Sharing GAL, Scheduling between local domains; User Admin Interface

I'm fairly new to Zimbra and could use some help accomplishing some setup features. I've searched the forums and wiki, but was not able to find how to accomplish these things so I'm posting in hopes I can be pointed in a direction, or if these are worthy get them on a development list. Or email me if you have a zimlet or custom code to help out.

First, my config. Zimbra 4.02. Single server. 4 domains. Out in the wild (not nat'd).

I'd like very much for each domain to see and share one GAL. We're all the same company. How do we do this?

The same is true of the calendars and scheduling features. We'd love to be able to see if (eg) Rick in Detroit can get on the conference call. How do we do this?

We're 20 something offices. I have a job, and it doesn't include email admin. I need to be able to segment user management to each office, and to each division. They need to set up users, reset passwords, and remove users all on their own. How can we do this?

Regards... Jim
    Last edited by alivebyscience; 10-16-2006 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Change title to something more search friendly

GAL and free/busy today is per domain. One idea would be to create all the user's on a single domain (mycorp.com). This will be used for calendar, free/busy, and GAL. You then can give an alias for those on the each of their external facing domains. Assuming most live on one domain already you can make this the primary domain, otherwise you can create a new domain just for this purpose. Other solutions could be to set up a separate LDAP for the GAL which has all the user's email addresses.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

On the 2nd question about delegated admin you can give per-domain access to IT owners in each office. Or just make one person in each office an admin user across all the domains.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default deligated admins

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    On the 2nd question about delegated admin you can give per-domain access to IT owners in each office. Or just make one person in each office an admin user across all the domains.
    i was looking for this option. but as soon i turn on administrator on a user account in a specific domain he has access to all domains.

christof

Default Gal cross domains

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    GAL and free/busy today is per domain. One idea would be to create all the user's on a single domain (mycorp.com). This will be used for calendar, free/busy, and GAL. You then can give an alias for those on the each of their external facing domains. Assuming most live on one domain already you can make this the primary domain, otherwise you can create a new domain just for this purpose. Other solutions could be to set up a separate LDAP for the GAL which has all the user's email addresses.
    Is there a possibility that development can implement a GAL that will query all domains?

I also have several domains in my organization and there are several issues with keeping the gal per domain.

A: user joe@domain1.com wants to email bill@domain2.com. User does not show up in GAL.
    B: Conference room is built as a resource. there is only one conference room in nyc. User joe@domain1.com wants to use conference room and bill@domain2.com has already booked it. joe@domain1.com does not see resource as it is in domain2.com. If I build a second resource, both users will book the resource at the same time. This is a problem

All of my users email between the four domains that I have now. How do you recommend they have a seemless resource for the GAL?

Am I supposed to create a domain and make everyone's default that domain? Then when they log in, they will have to use the credentials for that domain?

Like I said, is there any chance you can implement a gal (it is supposed to be global) that is actually global?

This would all be great. My company is actually in the process of moving to a single domain for most purposes; email isn't the only thing that is simpler along that route. But, this isn't realistic for even a medium-sized, established company.

Also we are caught between a rock and a hard place here: GAL issues if we use accounts on multiple domains and persona issues if we consolidate accounts on one domain. Our people need to appear as joe@domain1.com for one email, and joe@domain2.com for the next. For now they are stuck using a traditional IMAP client, when I'd rather have them on webmail.

Ultimately, domains are only a common operational division, not a reliable one. It is completely understandable that Zimbra would focus on building for the common instances, but it would also be great if we could move beyond that at some point.