Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workgroup Share

Default Workgroup Share

Does Zimbra have or will it have the following function:

Allow other users in the organization to share data, such as calendars, contacts, email, tasks, etc without the expense or expertise required by Microsoft Exchange Server.

We run Solaris boxes and have a floating workforce, we have 1 email address that all our clients send to. As we all float, we would like the flexability to be able to access that account and see if any staff have replied back to the client and also view the response.

In your documentation, it states that the server has to be shut down to backup and then restarted.

- Is it possible to do automated hot backups to tape ?

Last question....

When will a Production Version in Solaris be available.

Cheers

George

Quote Originally Posted by in-motion

Does Zimbra have or will it have the following function:

Allow other users in the organization to share data, such as calendars, contacts, email, tasks, etc without the expense or expertise required by Microsoft Exchange Server.
    Yes. The next release will introduce shared calendar. You can see some screen shots on our blog. www.zimbra.com/blog

We have a shared GAL (contacts) today. We'll be adding shared folders and tasks in the future.

We run Solaris boxes and have a floating workforce, we have 1 email address that all our clients send to. As we all float, we would like the flexability to be able to access that account and see if any staff have replied back to the client and also view the response.
    Easiest way to do this today is just setup a seperate account that everyone can access via IMAP or the web. Once we get full account sharing you can just share this gloabal user with your entire workforce.

In your documentation, it states that the server has to be shut down to backup and then restarted.

- Is it possible to do automated hot backups to tape ?
    This is available now in our Network version. If you'd like to be part of the Network beta please email sales ~at~ zimbra.com

Last question....

When will a Production Version in Solaris be available.
    We've not started a Solaris port yet. If there is enough interest we'll do it. Future OSS releases will make addtional ports easier.

Thanks,

I am more than happy to be part of the Network beta.

Great product Great Community

Look forward to the Solaris version

Cheers

I would also be part of the network beta. PM me if that would be possible.

This is a great project, keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to all the shared calender/contact goodness.

Just send an email to sales @ zimbra.com with your contact info and the size of your expected deployment. They can add to to the list.

Default Client

Just a general curiosity... how is Zimbra was going to implement the folder/file sharing. Is it all going to be done through the web interface, or will client applications be able to take advantage of the file sharing. I know Exchange can through Outlook, but is it possible to have say a Thunderbird extension that will do folder sharing for Zimbra?

Quote Originally Posted by rsharpe
    Just a general curiosity... how is Zimbra was going to implement the folder/file sharing. Is it all going to be done through the web interface, or will client applications be able to take advantage of the file sharing. I know Exchange can through Outlook, but is it possible to have say a Thunderbird extension that will do folder sharing for Zimbra?
    Client apps like Thunderbird will be able to use our SOAP api to access and work with the shared folders and documents. We don't have plans to write this extension but the api will be there just like the api we have today for all the current functionlity.

Default Shared IMAP Folders

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We'll be adding shared folders and tasks in the future.
    Hi Kevin,

do you schedule the shared folders, yet? I'm using them right now on SLOX and like the funktionality very much, so I can't wait to see this at zimbra.

Cheers,
    Jannik

IMAP? You can share IMAP accounts today. Just add multiple accounts/mailboxes to your IMAP client.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

This is almost off topic but -

If someone would like to work on a solaris port of zimbra oss please let me know and I would be happy to provide a development machine (for sparc).

Jacob