Thread: Compiling Zimbra from source

Default Compiling Zimbra from source

I am been digging though definition files for zimbra trying to understand whats going on for the build process and I am getting lost.

I have noticed that I can go into most of the directories in the trunk/folder of the svn repo and type "ant" or "make" to compile various portions of zimbra but Im confused as to how all of this goes togther and how its run. Can zimbra be run on a normal apache2 server? Can't zimbra be built against the libraries already on my system?

Default Others have gone before you...

Quote Originally Posted by rmh3093 View Post
    I am been digging though definition files for zimbra trying to understand whats going on for the build process and I am getting lost.
    Have you searched the forums or the wiki yet?

Can zimbra be run on a normal apache2 server?
    Zimbra is Java, so you'll need a container like tomcat (or jetty, or resin, or...) We use tomcat by default.

Can't zimbra be built against the libraries already on my system?
    We do limited tweaking to the packages, so that's not necessarily a good idea. Moreover, what happens if the package version that Zimbra is expecting isn't compatible with the package version you have installed?

A "light install" using system packages has been requested. If you'd really like to see it, please search bugzilla for it and vote!
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

I already have apache2,tomcat,mysql,ldap,postfix,rrdtool,mrtg,net-snmp,clamav,amavisd,dspam and perdition installed on my system

i have never setup a java site (or compiled much java programs) like this before so Im not sure which files are important to the function of zimbra

i am very proficient with linux and I know gentoo like the back of my hand so I should be able to get it to run if I had help understanding this build process

Default Follow the link. Seriously.

That link to the wiki I put in the last posting was not intended as a brush-off. Follow it and you'll see links to "how to build Zimbra" entries, including this one on building on Gentoo.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

I did not bush that off, I have been looking at the two of the threads relating to building from source... sometimes I just see just see the forest and not the trees, I will look over those links on custom configurations and see where i get from there... thanks