Thread: Bug in AjxSoapDoc?

Hybrid View

Default Bug in AjxSoapDoc?

I am building a test application to see how I can use the zimbra javascript library. I was trying the communicate with SOAP to my server (it uses Ruby on Rails as SOAP service). I couldn't get it to work. To find the problem I analyzed the request that was made to the server. I had a working request from a different application (Mindreef SOAPscope) to compare it with.

It begins with that it missed the request header SOAPAction. I didn't know SOAP services need that. It wasn't really a problem because I could add the header to the request (But it cost a lot of time to find out that one...).

After I fixed that the server gave me back another error: "Internal protocol error: Illegal parent: .". I found out that xmlns:soap attribute in the Envelope node was different from the working request. AjxSoapDoc uses 'http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope' but the other working request used 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'. After changing this, the request worked (kind off, the xml returned back isn't parsed write but that is a different problem). Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my SOAP service?

Default SOAP 1.1 vs. SOAP 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by smies
    It begins with that it missed the request header SOAPAction. I didn't know SOAP services need that. It wasn't really a problem because I could add the header to the request (But it cost a lot of time to find out that one...).

After I fixed that the server gave me back another error: "Internal protocol error: Illegal parent: .". I found out that xmlns:soap attribute in the Envelope node was different from the working request. AjxSoapDoc uses 'http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope' but the other working request used 'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'. After changing this, the request worked (kind off, the xml returned back isn't parsed write but that is a different problem). Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my SOAP service?
    AjxSoapDoc is using SOAP 1.2 to communicate, while your server seems to be expecting SOAP 1.1. As you've seen, SOAP 1.2 uses a different namespace and does not use the SOAPAction header.

If you decide to make AjxSoapDoc switchable between SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, please send us a copy of your patch!

ah, now I understand. And I have the luck to work with SOAP 1.1.

It's a good idea to make it switchable. It shouldn't be too hard. The only problem is that I don't know where to place the switch. Is it a global configuration switch or should it be possible to switch it per SOAP request.

Then there is that header. You must give it to AjxRpc.invoke method as a parameter. The problem is that the AjxRpc isn't a part of the SOAP document and it doesn't know when it is sending a SOAP request. Maybe the solution is to make a class (like ZmCsfeCommand) that is specificly there to send SOAP requests? This class could look in the document to see if it is SOAP 1.1 or 1.2 and accordingly send the header or not.