Thread: Flash IM Client

Default Flash IM Client

Hello,

I wonder if you guys have ever thought on having the main zimbra im client in flash.

You guys could even use red5 in order to support video/audio chats.

Video/audio/text chats could be saved for later review if needed with flash and red5.

If you guys are interested on this plz let me know since i feel really experienced on this subject (i've written books about this, worked for several companies using this, etc.).

Thanks,
    Fernando

Default Red5d

Hi,

I use red5 and think it has great potential. I agree, really great idea about integrating this with Zimbra.
    ------------------------------
    http://www.lcrm.co.uk

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There's a thread in the forums about the current IM client, either tag your post onto that or email one of the admins if you want to offer help in developing it. That, I think, would be the quickest option.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by __proto__ View Post
    Hello,
    I wonder if you guys have ever thought on having the main zimbra im client in flash.
    Flash is quite powerful, but:

1) It's propietary (by Adobe)
    2) Linux version is bad (at this moment only version 7.0 and 9.0 in beta stage).
    3) There is no 64bit available.

If we want an opensource groupware (or opensource based with a contract support) and using open standards flash should not be an option.

I prefer and ajax based IM or java based instead of a flash one.

But this is my opinion, and I agree that a flash version could be great, but I don't like adobe (and flash doesn't work in my Ubuntu AMD64 without using firefox32 or npwrapperplugin... ugg... )

Quote Originally Posted by inigoml View Post
    Flash is quite powerful, but:

2) Linux version is bad (at this moment only version 7.0 and 9.0 in beta stage).

If we want an opensource groupware (or opensource based with a contract support) and using open standards flash should not be an option.

But this is my opinion, and I agree that a flash version could be great, but I don't like adobe (and flash doesn't work in my Ubuntu AMD64 without using firefox32 or npwrapperplugin... ugg... )
    Great thread!

You are not right. The avm (actionscript virtual machine) went opensource some weeks ago on the mozilla foundation. Also the flex sdk which you can use to develop flash apps is free (not opensource but free)

video/audio support starts with flash 6. Flash 9 is still in beta but it rocks. It's just about time.
    yet!

Actually actionscript (and actionscript3) is VERY standard.

I like AJAX a lot. I use it daily at work but flash is way more compatible. Now you can run it on your browser, on your cellphone, on your psp, pretty soon on your desktop (apollo project), etc. AJAX doesn't work on all browsers and not everytime it works as expected.

It doesn't work yet.

I don't want to turn this into an AJAX vs Flash war so please take my post just as an idea

Cheers!

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

I like flash, it's pretty and nice and interactive, particularly for multimedia stuf. I wish it was more ubiquitous. However, inigoml is bang on. It's proprietary (free != open), adobe have consistently refused to release it on several major platforms (ppc comes to mind), it doesn't interact well with the web model - it essentially embeds a native app inside the web page, and it's blocked by many corporate policies/networks.

I have developed web apps that have cried out for certain flash features but i could never bring myself to use it. as immature as it is, ajax/svg holds much more promise.