Thread: Shared/Public folders

Hybrid View

Default Shared/Public folders

Hi there.

I searched the forum and the pieces of documentation that I could gather about support for this feature, but despite several posts with "We are using public folders heavily" I haven't found a concrete answer to the question
    - Does Zimbra support this already?
    or
    - Is this feature already in development? Usable, but unstable? Not yet implemented? Not planned?

Thanks in advance for any answer. The suite looks really great (Especially the web client + calendar), but the shared/public folder problem keeps me from installing it yet..

Ben

Default Not quite yet.

The current beta has no sharing. The next beta (very soon!) will have calendar sharing. A future release will have full support for shared folders.

Default Folder Sharing Status

Any clue as to how close we are to shared/public folders now? Also, is this feature intended to be in the open source version or just the network edition?

Not yet. Unclear if it will be in the Network only or in the OSS version. In general we don't plan for things to be in one or another. First choice is always OSS, but some features we are unable to open source due to IP or license issues.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Not yet. Unclear if it will be in the Network only or in the OSS version. In general we don't plan for things to be in one or another. First choice is always OSS, but some features we are unable to open source due to IP or license issues.
    I love that attitude

Will there be any chance in the future that the Network features get sold seperately? For example, if I just need the backup option, but no support (I know sounds crazy), will that be available?

Once again though, you guys / gals do awesome work! This forum rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by retireoncsco
    Will there be any chance in the future that the Network features get sold seperately? For example, if I just need the backup option, but no support (I know sounds crazy), will that be available?
    Splitting up the Network is something we'd rather not do. It will just get too hard to manage and license. We've already split out support for the Small Biz edition. This includes minimal support for those who've got the skills in house to support Zimbra without our help. See the pricing link below for more details.

http://www.zimbra.com/products/pricing.html
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.