Thread: Open email in mime format (.eml file) directly in compose window

Default Open email in mime format (.eml file) directly in compose window

Hi,

is there any way opening an existing .eml file (either in the client machine or the server) in a compose window directly calling an url?
    Or to programmatically (by calling an url) opening a compose window passing it custum subject, to, body AND ATTACHMENTs?

I cannot find the right way by myself,
    Help me please or give me some hints!

Thanks in advance
    Marco

It is difficult to understand what you are trying to achieve. You mention opening an existing email but also using a custom subject, to, body and ATTACHMENTS - which would suggest it is not an existing email ?

Can you explain the scenario?

Is it a custom client?
    Is it an existing email you sent?

For example, if it is the zimbra web client and it is an email you sent, you can right-click on it and select "Send as new" to open a new duplicate of it in a draft window.

Hi,

I try to better explain.
    Currently, we are using an application that can compose mails with attachments as an .eml file. At the moment, users open this .eml files using Mozilla Thunderbird, they press ctrl+e to edit it as new e-mail, they manually add some info and then send it.
    I'm evaluating a way to have the same flexibility, i.e. the ability to manually edit automatically generated emails prior to send, by using Zimbra Web Client.
    I know how to open a compose window in ZWC adding a custom subject, recipient and body, but I cannot add attachments in this way.
    So, I'm asking if there's a way of managing .eml files in ZCS to do the same as thunderbird.
    This is the first question.

The second question, is related to the first one.
    As I can modify the way my app is generating e-mails, I'm asking if there's another way to open compose window showing a new e-mail with custom subject, recipient, object and attachments.

I know that if an email exists in Zimbra you can right-click on it and select "Send as new", but my email is not yet in zimbra. If I could import the .eml file format as a draft, it should be another solution.

Any hint?

You could use the SOAP api upload a MIME email, and then use the SaveDraftRequest to save it to the drafts folder instead of sending it directly. From the soap.txt document ...

Code:
    if you want to compose the message remotely, upload it via
       FileUploadServlet, and submit it through our server:

<SaveDraftRequest>
      <m aid="{uploaded-MIME-body-ID}" [id="{existing-draft-id}"]
        [origid="..." rt="r|w"] [l="{folder}"] [f="{flags}"] [t="{tag-id-list}"] [color="{color}"] [autoSendTime="{millis-since-epoch}"]/>
    </SaveDraftRequest>
    Once it is in the drafts folder the user can edit it before sending.

Thank you very much.
    I wrote a small jsp page that upload the .eml from filesystem and then save it to draft as you explained and it works.

Now I can open a page with that message in the browser, using message id which can be found in the SOAP response, by calling http://zimbraserver/?id=####.
    Then user should press 'Edit' button to customize the message before sending it.

Do you know if there's a way to open draft messages in edit mode directly by calling an URL?

Thanks a lot, again!