Thread: Email Message History/Return Receipt?

Default Email Message History/Return Receipt?

We are migrating to Zimbra in the near future. I have looked through the various manuals and the forums but haven't found any mention of the following question.

My question/request is this: Is it possible to view the history of a message? Meaning, can I see when it was sent, read, deleted by a recipient, etcetera? This feature is available in our current email system (FirstClass) and our users use it a lot.

Attached are 2 pictures of the History window in FirstClass as examples.

Would this be a Zimlet opportunity or core feature?

Thanks

Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As the zimbra user run 'zmmsgtrace', that's give you the format of the command. Offhand, I don't think it gives you the details of when a message is deleted just it's route through the system. If you have any feature enhancement requests file them in bugzilla.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks, I will try that. However, it looks like your answer can only be used by the Zimbra user on the Zimbra server. I am looking for any user to have the ability to see the history of their own messages.

Sorry, I missed the 'our users' bit of you post. It is just the zimbra user on the server that can use that utility. I'd suggest an RFE in bugzilla as the best course of action, describe who you want it for and what exactly you need from that feature. Just for my own interest, why do your users use/need that feature?
    Regards

Bill

They have gotten used to using that feature in our current mail client. It allows them to see if the internal recipients have read, deleted, replied, forwarded, etc. any message. It also has a Routed message that lets them know that it has routed the message to the outside world, which can be important when the mail server is acting up and not always sending messages out...

For example, I send a message to 4 people in the office regarding a policy change in the office. I can check the history function and see who has read it so far, if anyone has forwarded it on, if anyone has deleted it already, or who has replied out of the 4 recipients. Also, if it was deleted before being read, that is useful information. All in all, it is a really nice feature of FirstClass, though FirstClass is not the most stable or robust mail system these days... At least not for us.

Thanks

Thanks for the description, as I suggested earlier an RFE in bugzilla would be the place for that. Give them the same description as you've done here and don't forget to vote on it.
    Regards

Bill