Thread: Looking up COS via LDAP

Default Looking up COS via LDAP

I'm new to using LDAP and cannot figure out how to do searches for information besides user info. Specifically I would like to connect to the Zimbra LDAP from another machine and find the COS assigned to an email address.

I'm using an LDAP browser (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gawor/ldap/) to connect and poke around and am using 'Anonymous bind'. Do I need to authenticate? I know the LDAP password, but have been unable to connect that way. What do I need to use for the 'User DN' field?

I have tried reading the forums to get my bearings, but all the posts assume you can already navigate the LDAP with ease.
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com

So I figured out an ldapsearch query that works for me. Now I need to know how to use this with a tool to grab the COS.

Here is my ldapsearch line

ldapsearch -H ldap://zimbra.domain.com -x -D 'uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra' -w password -b 'uid=peter,ou=people,dc=mxtoolbox,dc=com' zimbraCOSId mail

In order to use this base DN I need to authenticate. I know the LDAP password, but what do I use as the username?
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by peter@mxtoolbox.com View Post
    So I figured out an ldapsearch query that works for me. Now I need to know how to use this with a tool to grab the COS.

Here is my ldapsearch line

ldapsearch -H ldap://zimbra.domain.com -x -D 'uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra' -w password -b 'uid=peter,ou=people,dc=mxtoolbox,dc=com' zimbraCOSId mail

In order to use this base DN I need to authenticate. I know the LDAP password, but what do I use as the username?
    You actually use that line to bind to the server along with the master ldap password. The information is under cn=zimbra,cn=cos,cn=default