Thread: Get new mail subject using SOAP?

Default Get new mail subject using SOAP?

Hi!

I'm very new to Zimbra. I've checked all the Zimbra's documents those I can find but still have no idea how to do this. So, I come to here and hope this is a good place to ask my question.

I'm trying to integrate the instant messaging server - OpenFire with the Zimbra. My 1st assignment is to get the OpenFire send a message to it's client when there's a new mail (or upcoming event) go into user's mailbox.

Since I can successfully config the OpenFire server to authenticate the users aginst Zimbra's LDAP server, I suppose that it should not have any technical issue about the authentication. My next step come to the question that how can I retrive the status of the user mailbox, to check if there is any new mail available.

My idea is to create a SOAP client as a plug-in for the OpenFire server and periodically request Zimbra server the mailbox (and calendar) information. If there is any up-coming event or incoming mail available, the plug-in will immediately send the message to the IM client.

However, from the documents, I can see only the information about SOAP message to retrieve information from the Calendar. But nothing about the "new mail", except the mailbox searching.

My current question should be: are there any approach that better than just make a mail searching for the new one? Any reading is also welcome.

Thanks!

Default Polling via NoOp

Easiest is probably to connect to the Zimbra system and use the SOAP notification system to receive new message notifications. When the user authenticates, a session ID is returned in the SOAP header. If you then just send one NoOp request every N minutes (make sure N < 5), each response will include the set of deleted, modified, and created items in the user's mailbox. (5.0 will allow you to get immediate notifications by doing a "hanging NoOp", which blocks until either 5 minutes elapses or something changes in the mailbox.)

Other ways to do this include becoming a sync client and sending Sync requests, but the abovementioned NoOps are lightweight and simple. That's how the toasters work.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!