Thread: SQL backend details

Default SQL backend details

Good day to all,

This is my first post to the Zimbra forums, hooray!

We are in need of a robust internal calendaring/email solution with AJAX GUI, and Zimbra looks to be the solution we've been looking for. Before proceeding, I'd like to inquire on a few things, though.

I was wondering if I might be able to modify the individual components of Zimbra to use custom SQL queries for authentication (IMAP, POP, SMTP, Webmail, etc). If so, would this break Zimbra? I've modified dovecot IMAP/POP3, exim, and other softwares in the past to use custom queries, which has worked superbly. I do understand if I were to do this with Zimbra, support would be void, and am fully willing to accept that.

Secondly, if custom internal database queries are not possible, perhaps I can modify the many services we host to use Zimbra's internal database. Does Zimbra store it's users and passwords in a MySQL table with perhaps MD5 hashing of the passwords?

Any details or insight you can provide will be most helpful. Thank you all for your time and support.

Have a great day!

Hi..welcome the the fourms and to the zimbra community.

1) All user info is stored in LDAP, password is a HASH
    2) All metadata regarding messages, cal, ..everything is stored in MySQL
    3) Yes if you buy network vesion and you change anything your support is voided (i dont work for zimbra. )
    4) Any "changes" you do the software will most probably be overwitten on next update/upgrade
    5) Any changes you do to MYSQL/LDAP stucture my cause the future UPGRADED to fail..as zimbra scripts may not handle your custom changes.

6) ** Most important point ** is zimbra has SOAP API (ADMIN as well as USER based) if you can do all your stuff thru API then you can ignore all the 1-5 points mentioned above

and for any kind of cool shuff you can get help in fourms anyway.

Raj