Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compilation and Building of Source Code

Default Compilation and Building of Source Code

Hi,
    I have downloaded zimbra source code 'zcs-4.5.5_GA_832-src'. Deployed it using Eclipse and Linux. Can somebody further guide me regarding the following questios, which are related to its code.
    1. As there are many projects in the workspace. Which project is the main project? I have deployed ZimbraServer, but now I am not sure to launch which class or jsp. I run the ZimbraServer using this command 'http://localhost:8080/ZimbraServer/', which simply "This is my JSP page."
    2. Same is the case with ZimbraClient. And how can I access the calendar.
    3. There is also a database(mySql), what to do about it.
    4. Finally, is it possible to run Zimbra Source Code successfuly on one's local machine, as there are many configuration parameters and, also, there is no help documentation regarding the source code (not the binary).

I ll be thankful for nice reply.
    Asif IqBal

Quote Originally Posted by masif View Post
    Hi,
    I have downloaded zimbra source code 'zcs-4.5.5_GA_832-src'. Deployed it using Eclipse and Linux. Can somebody further guide me regarding the following questios, which are related to its code.
    1. As there are many projects in the workspace. Which project is the main project? I have deployed ZimbraServer, but now I am not sure to launch which class or jsp. I run the ZimbraServer using this command 'http://localhost:8080/ZimbraServer/', which simply "This is my JSP page."
    2. Same is the case with ZimbraClient. And how can I access the calendar.
    3. There is also a database(mySql), what to do about it.
    4. Finally, is it possible to run Zimbra Source Code successfuly on one's local machine, as there are many configuration parameters and, also, there is no help documentation regarding the source code (not the binary).

I ll be thankful for nice reply.
    Asif IqBal
    1. ZimbraService deploys the /service folder. If it deployed correctly. It's probably working. You need to deploy the ZimbraWebClient (ant deploy, ant admin-deploy) to get the front end.
    3. Take a look at the build instructions. Mysql needs to be installed before Zimbra.
    4. Yep. I've done it ;-)

Red face Compiation and Building of Source Code

Thanx JoshuaPrismon for your kind reply.
    But I need some more help, hopefuly you will help me.
    1. I am new to Linux, I have download mySql-Server.rmp and mysql-Client.rpm. I have installed them but dont know where they have been installed. And how to configure mysql in Eclipse with the Zimbra Source Code.
    2. I run the Server and Client build.xml files, but due to some errors, build is not successful. Have I to change any configuration. And by deplying these files, will zimbra start running.
    3. And what to do with the UserServlet (in the service folder). Can I call it directly from a jsp page or from a brower. (I do that but the ZimbraZerver project donot access files of ZimbraCommon).
    I ll really appreciate your reply.
    Asif

When everything is set, you'll simply go to http:// localhost:7070 and the webclient will be running. Could you please post what errors your build is producing? Have you tried working through the install file for mac? As most of this is under a unix environment, much of it will be similar. Finally, what flavor of Linux are you installing on top of?

--monvural

Default Compiation and Building of Source Code

Thanx for your reply
    I am using Fedora 6 and eclipse.

When I click on the build file of ZimbraServer the following error occurs:

[javac] Compiling 1 source file to /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build/classes
    [java] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:
    [java] sLogsByClass cannot be resolved
    [java] at com.zimbra.common.util.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactor y.java:45)
    [java] at com.zimbra.cs.db.Versions.<clinit>(Versions.java:5 5)

I have'nt yet configured the mysql and also not created the database form their scripts.
    I have installed the database but when I run it, it gives the following error:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Now tell me what should I do, I think its the database error, bcoz its trying to fetch the db version from the databsae table and upon not finding it, the above mentioned error ocurrs.
    However if you furhter guided me, I will be really thankful to you. If need further clarification regarding the project, I ll explain it you.

Thanx JoshuaPrismon for your kind reply.
    But I need some more help, hopefuly you will help me.
    1. I am new to Linux, I have download mySql-Server.rmp and mysql-Client.rpm. I have installed them but dont know where they have been installed. And how to configure mysql in Eclipse with the Zimbra Source Code.
    2. I run the Server and Client build.xml files, but due to some errors, build is not successful. Have I to change any configuration. And by deplying these files, will zimbra start running.
    3. And what to do with the UserServlet (in the service folder). Can I call it directly from a jsp page or from a brower. (I do that but the ZimbraZerver project donot access files of ZimbraCommon).
    I ll really appreciate your reply.
    Asif
    1. the rpm's are binary packages. If you are new to Linux and source code, you may just want to stick with them, rather then build from scratch. I'm a project manager with several huge code bases, 15 years of Linux experience, 10 years of IT consulting, and I find the Zimbra build process annoying at times ;-)
    2. The build not working means that something is installed wrong. Check the CVS build instructions (or rather the SVN install instructions).
    3. The UserServlet is for exposing information to the ZimbraWebClient, and providing information in other applications. If you want to deploy a JSP, take a look at the Zimlet functionality. NOTE: You do not have to build Zimbra to be able to deploy Zimlet's and JSPS.
    4.There is a Zimbra Taglib. I am not sure if the Taglib communicates directly with the Zibrastore.jar proccess, or if it also uses the SOAP interface. There is also the zclient lib, which may be closer to what you are looking for. I wrote up a quick guide on getting zclient to work on the wiki.

To further what JoshuaPrismon said, go ahead and install the binaries, and then you'll see what packages are available. If you've installed everything correctly, then you will be able to see the full client/server working. Get comfortable with that environment, and then come back to the source code.

Here's a link to help you setup a basic web setup for FC6. It won't help you get the java server (tomcat) in place, but at least you'll understand how a build process works. Try this out, get these packages installed, get more comfortable with building on FC6, and then try a source install would be my advice.

Installing A LAMP System With Fedora Core 6 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Hi, thanx for your kind replies.

I re-deployed Zimbra source code. The steps which I have taken are below.
    1. Created a workspace in eclipse named 'zimbra' in the /opt folder
    2. Copies the complete source code.
    3. Created a database naming 'zimbra' and ran the mysql server. Besides this, the db scripts files in the db folder have been run and the db has been populated. The port is 7306.
    4. Now I click on the build.xml of ZimbraServer and get the following error.

BUILD FAILED
    /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build.xml:1215: /opt/zimbra/ThirdParty/jetty/jetty-6.1.3/lib not found.

Now please help me that what should I do, this file has already been included, but the error comes.

Hi, thanx for your kind replies.

I re-deployed Zimbra source code. The steps which I have taken are below.
    1. Created a workspace in eclipse named 'zimbra' in the /opt folder
    2. Copies the complete source code.
    3. Created a database naming 'zimbra' and ran the mysql server. Besides this, the db scripts files in the db folder have been run and the db has been populated. The port is 7306.
    4. Now I click on the build.xml of ZimbraServer and get the following error.

BUILD FAILED
    /opt/zimbra/ZimbraServer/build.xml:1215: /opt/zimbra/ThirdParty/jetty/jetty-6.1.3/lib not found.

Now please help me that what should I do, this file has already been included, but the error comes.
    That's one of the things that changed in the 5.0 release. They switched from Tomcat to Jetty. I found that linking /opt/zimbra/jetty to ThirdParty/jetty/jetty-6.1.3 fixed that problem.

Thanks for you peaple kind communication. The jetty problem has been solved by downloading jetty and placing it on the specified path.

Now the problem that I am coping with is a java file 'ServiceName', this should be on the path "com.zimbra.cs.im.interop.Interop.ServiceName" , however this file does not exist. Can somebody help me from where can I get this file?

Regards,
    Asif