Thread: CentOS 4.2 Build

Hybrid View

Default CentOS 4.2 Build

I have the CVS build nearly working on CentOS 4.2. It's pretty straight forward, and can be done one of two ways. You'd use one of the two procedures that follows, then just follow the typical CVS build instructions as found in ZimbraServer/docs. I should have a build script available soon though :-)

The long way is:

1) Add Build Platform

Edit: ZimbraBuild/rpmconf/Build/get_plat_tag.sh, and add:

Code:
           grep "CentOS release 4" /etc/redhat-release > /dev/null 2>&1
            if [ $? = 0 ]; then
                    echo "CentOS4"
                    exit 0
            fi
    To the 'if' statement section at the top labeled "if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ];".

2) Add dir in WebClient

cd ZimbraWebClient/bin
    cp -ra RHEL4 CentOS4

3) Add PCRE Target

Edit: ZimbraBuild/defs/coretargets.def

Add a line which reads:

Code:
    pcre_CentOS4: ;
    4) Create the CentOS4.def file

In same dir as step 3:

cp RHEL4.def CentOS4.def

5) Use 'CentOS4' when building

When following the CVS build instructions, whenever it calls for you to create a dir for the platform you're on, such as RHEL4, FC3, or whatever, you'd just use CentOS4.

-- OR --

The easier way to do all the above is simply to edit:

ZimbraBuild/rpmconf/Build/get_plat_tag.sh

And add this to the top (just like above):

Code:
           grep "CentOS release 4" /etc/redhat-release > /dev/null 2>&1
            if [ $? = 0 ]; then
                    echo "RHEL4"
                    exit 0
            fi
    Except that with this, you're identifying as RHEL4, not CentOS4. So when building, you'd just use RHEL4 for the dir names.

Theoretically, RHEL4 and CentOS4 are quite similar, if not identical. The difference should be in support, and availability of non-free packages. Being that the build uses only freely available packages, there may not be a difference between RHEL4 and CentOS4 for build purposes.

Which of the above is used would depend on whether one can see any current or potential future differences in the distros. The first is safer, but creates more maintenance. The second is *probably* safe, and requires no additional maintenance. But, there's always that chance :-)

Have a good one,
    -Eric
    Last edited by andreychek; 12-01-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Hi, Eric (or Zimbra experts who know what's going on with supporting CentOS):

I am excited to see that you were helping with the CentOS build as I am using it too. I have been using RedHat binary release so far and would like to try building it from source on CentOS now. Just wondering if you have it working ? The downloaded source does not show any hint of it, are you planning on submitting it ?

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by liyingchang
    Hi, Eric (or Zimbra experts who know what's going on with supporting CentOS):

I am excited to see that you were helping with the CentOS build as I am using it too. I have been using RedHat binary release so far and would like to try building it from source on CentOS now. Just wondering if you have it working ? The downloaded source does not show any hint of it, are you planning on submitting it ?
    Hey there,

No, unfortunatly, the CVS source will not build on CentOS without doing the above steps.

The Zimbra guys added one or two of the above steps to CVS, but not all of them, so you'll have to do it manually :-) (hint hint)

You should be able to use the above steps in combination with the build_cvs_howto.txt to get it working on CentOS.

A simpler way to get development code working would be to use their development snapshots:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060

For those, you could just use the RHEL4 snapshot, and you should be up and running in no time, CVS is much more involved.

But I know, one gets more geek points for running CVS :-)

Have a good one,
    -Eric