Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zdesktop won't start (faulting app.) or uninstall (jvm found at {0} is damaged)

Hybrid View

Default zdesktop won't start (faulting app.) or uninstall (jvm found at {0} is damaged)

Been running zdesktop 0.90 build 1249 on winxp since ~7:30pm EDT yesterday.

It was running fine before I rebooted... Once the system came back up zdesktop wouldn't start. I tried to manually start and it still failed. Error logged in event log is:

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0 faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

When I attempt to uninstall zdesktop I get:
    Error
    The JVM found at {0} is damaged. Please reinstall or define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE.

Ideas? My gut feeling is somehow zdesktop install got trashed... but no idea what would have caused that.

Phil

Well, no idea what caused this, but I've done this to work around it...
    - moved c:\zimbra\zdesktop to c:\zimbra\zdesktop.OFF
    - started 0.90 installer
    - after selecting default install directory (c:\zimbra\zdesktop) I moved zdesktop.OFF back to zdesktop
    - started install and just let the installer overwrite the old install

Looks like this worked to keep my old data/settings, etc. and got the services started up again. I wonder if the problem somehow occured with the auto-update process going from beta2 to the few interim auto-updates to the final beta3 update. I noticed that the jvm environment was missing some files (jvm.dll to name one) but didn't do a full analysis.

Well, I've been contacted by one other person that had the same problem... so this is something to watch out for I guess...

i have/had the same problem. Once my zimbra desktop beta 3 doesnt starts or hangs and i try to uninstall it it gives the same error..

and i basically got to go through the same steps to get it install and having to rename the zdesktop folder...

i think this is a serious bug..
    Last edited by drdre; 07-30-2008 at 07:17 AM.

I just ran into the same problem. Here's what Event Viewer shows for the fault:

Faulting application zdesktop.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0007e7a8.

When I try to un-install or install the 0.90 build 1251 version, I get a dialog box with the following message:

The JVM found at {0} is damaged.
    Please reinstall or define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
    to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE.

Install overlay over existing install (instead of upgrade) as described in this thread seems to be a viable work-around.

this error only happens if you ever when upgrade with gui client open. this is a known issue, and the workaround is to always close gui client (not minimize) before running an upgrade.

if you are already stuck in this, the only cure is to do a clean, manual uninstall. see desktop wiki page about how to do this.

Default Automatic Upgrade resulting in System failure

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    this error only happens if you ever when upgrade with gui client open. this is a known issue, and the workaround is to always close gui client (not minimize) before running an upgrade.

if you are already stuck in this, the only cure is to do a clean, manual uninstall. see desktop wiki page about how to do this.
    I had this same issue on a system initiated upgrade. I appreciate there is a simple way to stop the problem (close the GUI) but wouldn't a more sensible approach be to fix the bug or throw a warning during the upgrade. Not being aware of the issue and not receiving any warnings has meant a lost morning trying to fix and unfortunately the recovery did not go smoothly and I am now left trying to recover my archive. I appreciate the desktop is still BETA but where there are known issues such as this surely a brief warning could be inserted to avoid system crashes.

Thumbs down

I think Zimbra is too heavy in memory usage, returning to Thunderbird.
    It also doesn't support remote .ical files which I use in Thunderbird to delegate tasks to colleagues for instance.
    Yes, Zimbra can Import and Export them, but not update them real-time.

Maybe later...

b.t.w. I had the same above issue, which is now fixed so I can finally uninstall the bloody thing.

Which version/build you are running? You are still having this problem even with the latest build 1482? I believe we fixed this problem months (a few releases) ago.

Issue occured with Desktop upgrade this morning UK time Feb 3rd 2009.

Upgrade was to V1.00.

I tried renaming Zdesktop to zdesktop old and then once directory was selected renaming back but that would not accept so I am now reloading my entire archive.