Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly delete key issue

Default Silly delete key issue

On Linux (Ubuntu/Gnome) the delete key does not always delete the current message. Sometimes you have to hit delete twice, sometimes you have to use the arrow keys to move up/down and then hit delete. I'm not taking window focus away from the mail list either... I click a message in the list, the reading pane displays the contents, I hit the delete key. The next message in the list appears in the reading pane... hit the delete key again and nothing happens. Not a huge issue, but wanted to report the behavior.

I've seen the same behavior on the Mac and Windows version as well. Usually, the only way I can get the message to delete is to select it (click its checkbox) and then click the delete button.

I can't reproduce this, but please file a bug.

Default More odd delete behavior

The desktop recently updated itself... 0.90 (build 1278). Since then, I've seen more odd things with deleting messages. I'm connected to a Zimbra server Release 5.0.8_GA_2462.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 FOSS edition. I'm running the Desktop application on Ubuntu 8.04.

I typically do not have any problems with my Inbox. However, I'm on the receiving end of a few technical mailing lists and I have a rule to place all of that mail into its own folder. The FIRST time I try to delete a message in this folder (currently 34 unread of 104 total messages) the message will delete correctly, the next message in the list will become highlighted but the contents of this new message will NOT display in the reading pane. This happens regardless of how I delete the first message (delete key, right-click and select delete, etc).

No matter what I do, I can not get the contents of the "next" message to display. I can view the contents of other items, but never one that was "next" after a delete. This behavior will repeat itself for each message I can get to appear in the reading pane. I have to shutdown and restart the application in order to get to the contents of the messages that would not display.

I will file this as a bug.

Is your message list by conversation?

Mine is listed by message.

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    Is your message list by conversation?
    No, I have messages listed normally.

As I was posting the bug report, I decided to validate a few things. I don't like to post bug reports unless I'm 100% sure I'm reporting accurately. Guess what I found out? This may not be related to the delete key at all.

My mailbox for incoming messages from the mailing list sits at the same level in the tree structure as the inbox folder, it is not a sub folder of the inbox. I noticed that it's not just deleting a message that causes the "next" message to not display... it's any action. Plain and simple, the reading pane will only show "every other" message selected in this folder.

Well, not quite "every other" but rather... only every other previously un-seen message will display. It is quite odd.

The bug ID is 31009

Same here. Delete keys wont work at all after we upgraded to 509 yesterday.
    Only way to remove messages is to hit the trashcan icon or right click them.

Tested on WinXP and Vista using Firefox 301 and IE 7.

Linux users should remember that what your physical DEL key *actually does* depends on a lot of things, and whether it will do what you *want* depends on whether your program is expecting one of those things.

It doesn't always send 0x7F (ASCII DEL). A lot of times, it sends a VT100 DEL sequence (ESC mumble 3) and sometimes it even sends 0x08 (ASCII BS).

Even in native X window system apps, like browsers, though, your DEL key *still* might have been remapped -- and worse, it's at least possible that it's been remapped to something that your browser itself listens for, but your app does not.

Same problem here also after update to 5.0.9, the delete key is not working anymore from the webmail AJAX interface. Tested on firefox 3 and IE7.