Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POP3 Email Setup Fails

Sorry - I was referring to FOSS edition, not desktop. I just realized it. I found the thread while searching and missed the fact that you're talking about desktop edition :/

I will have to add my concerns in another thread, hoping a Zimbra employee will see it and responds.

Cheers

Default Using POP3 not IMAP

.... and yes the username is correct. Works fine in 3 other email clients, Goldmine, Outlook Express and Microsoft Mail. Also been using AuthSMTP for a few years now. I am assuming the "Service Error" is from the POP3 settings looking at the mailbox.log file. It seems to succeed several times then fail once.

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    So when you setup the account you can specify both email and username. Only username is used for login. Make sure that both IMAP and SMTP usernames are correct.

So when you setup the account you can specify both email and username. Only username is used for login. Make sure that both IMAP and SMTP usernames are correct.
    If I set up an account that only uses a username it works. If I set up an account that uses an email address i.e. joe@somedomain.com as a user name it doesn't work. Neither IMAP nor POP3 work. And again all the settings are correct as I have the account working in another email client and I have entered them and re entered them over and over again.

ok i understand what you are saying, but what i don't get is why do you want to use your email address as username knowing that username shouldn't have the domain part. on the pop/imap setup page you can fill out both email and username, so why do you insist filling out the username field with email address?

ok i understand what you are saying, but what i don't get is why do you want to use your email address as username knowing that username shouldn't have the domain part. on the pop/imap setup page you can fill out both email and username, so why do you insist filling out the username field with email address?
    Because if I don't use the email address as the user name it doesn't work.
    That is not my choice that is what the ISP uses. And YES the username does have the domain part in it, sorry but that is the fact.
    So back to my original problem. Zimbra desktop doesn't work when I fill in the proper username (my email address) and password. Like I said I have tried as POP3 and IMAP.

I have the same problem. I have an account at web.de. There the the user name to be used is the same as the email part before domain name. For example, supose you have this email address "firtname.lastname@web.de", then you mas be login with the user name "firstname.lastname". Now when you try to use this user name in Zimbra desktop the "Service Error" is displayed.

Any hints?

The original poster made a very clear explanation of the problem. I will try rephrasing it, since it was obviously not understood.

If you create a new POP3 or IMAP account on a server that requires you to log in with user@address AS YOUR USERNAME, Zimbra gives an error message.

There are some ISPs that REQUIRE that you use USER@ADDRESS as your USERNAME, and Zimbra is not compatible with those ISPs.

How do you intend to solve this problem?

See the attached screenshot as an example of this error.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not WANT to use the email address as part of my username.

My ISP REQUIRES that I use the email address as my username.

Since jjzhuang seems to not understand the problem, here is a link to the web page that MY service provider set up with instructions for setting up a mail reader. As you can see, the SERVICE PROVIDER requires that I use name@address as my username. It is not my choice, it is what my service provider REQUIRES.

yinepuhotep, I can understand your description better if without the screenshot, but the screenshot makes it more confusing to me.

In your screenshot, you have these:

username -> mail.macmanusnet.net:raven:...
    Incoming mail server -> 127.0.0.1

Now I can't imagine this can be correct. The username doesn't look like any email address to me, and I'm sure you are not running the POP server of your ISP on your own localhost.

There is also a 3rd problem. Your SMTP server may require authentication (in fact most ISPs do) so you probably want to check that box.

I agree that the error message is not clear. We'll make the error more friendly.

BTW I just trying setting up a bunch of POP/IMAP accounts using email address as username, and they all setup just fine.

If it still doesn't work for you after you make the corrections I mentioned, we'll have to check the POP/IMAP/SMTP auth trace. Unfortunately right now there's no UI to turn trace on during setup. There's only a way to turn it on after the account is setup. There's a bug filed for this (Bug 31274 – allow user to enable debug trace from account setup page).