Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: POP3 Email Setup Fails

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    yinepuhotep, I can understand your description better if without the screenshot, but the screenshot makes it more confusing to me.

In your screenshot, you have these:

username -> mail.macmanusnet.net:raven:...
    Incoming mail server -> 127.0.0.1

Now I can't imagine this can be correct. The username doesn't look like any email address to me, and I'm sure you are not running the POP server of your ISP on your own localhost.
    That screenshot relates to a different problem - same error message, but the screenshot shows the error I get when I input the required login information for POPFile, a spam filter program that acts as a transparent proxy for your email program. I posted this screenshot originally in a post I made in the Installation Help forum, but that post appears to have been deleted by someone other than me since I posted it.

There is also a 3rd problem. Your SMTP server may require authentication (in fact most ISPs do) so you probably want to check that box.
    Nope. Not the problem. The ISP uses fetch before send authentication.

I agree that the error message is not clear. We'll make the error more friendly.

BTW I just trying setting up a bunch of POP/IMAP accounts using email address as username, and they all setup just fine.

If it still doesn't work for you after you make the corrections I mentioned, we'll have to check the POP/IMAP/SMTP auth trace. Unfortunately right now there's no UI to turn trace on during setup. There's only a way to turn it on after the account is setup. There's a bug filed for this (Bug 31274 – allow user to enable debug trace from account setup page).
    No such luck. Attempting to connect directly to the ISP, without using POPFile, only using the instructions from the web page I linked to in my last post, produces the exact same error message.

Wouldn't it be better if the email portion of the program were to simply pass through whatever you put into the USERNAME block without attempting to parse it? Then, it's up to the user to input the username in the format the ISP requires, and the program has nothing to do with it - it simply passes through the information exactly as the user inputs it.
    Last edited by Yinepuhotep; 09-09-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yinepuhotep View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if the email portion of the program were to simply pass through whatever you put into the USERNAME block without attempting to parse it? Then, it's up to the user to input the username in the format the ISP requires, and the program has nothing to do with it - it simply passes through the information exactly as the user inputs it.
    We don't parse username. We send it as-is. It's got to be something else. My advice is to wait for Bug 31274 – allow user to enable debug trace from account setup page to be fixed and then we can see the trace.

Default See this screen shot

See this screen shot for problem we are all having.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, that looks EXACTLY like the problem at hand.

if you believe that all information input is correct then we don't really have much to go on with until this bug is fixed:

Bug 31274 – allow user to enable debug trace from account setup page

Default Same error trying to set up GoDaddy email accounts

Quote Originally Posted by keithpage View Post

After installing Zimbra I managed to setup my Yahoo account on it no problem. I then tried to setup my POP3 account on it and although I have put in all the correct details it always comes up with the error:

Service Error. Please Check Your Server Settings; Verify Your Email Address, Password Or IMAP Access (If Required)

I know 100% that the information I have entered is correct and have tried setting it up about 15 times now and still no luck.

I am using version 0.90 build 1278.

Does anyone else have the same problem or can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Still can't set up any POP3 accounts-I get same error msg & using latest build). My domain & email is thru GoDaddy. Set up works in Outlook where email and username are full address. I set up incoming as pop.secureserver.net and outgoing as smtpout.secureserver.net - same as Outlook. Tried every possible combination and port settings too. POP3 accounts aren't supported unless the domain is ISP where only username is needed (me@ISPname.com works but me@mydomain.com doesn't)?
    mlm

Quote Originally Posted by monlmor View Post
    POP3 accounts aren't supported unless the domain is ISP where only username is needed (me@ISPname.com works but me@mydomain.com doesn't)?
    This appears to be the case. I still cannot set up any of my accounts that require a full email address for username, no matter what tricks I try.

I have the exact same problem. My setup:

Code:
    description: my new email
    email address: loki_racer@domain.com
    Account Type: IMAP4

User name: loki_racer@domain.com
    Incoming Mail Server: mail.domain.com
    I also have no other choice but to have the domain in the username. This is a major issue.

I have the same issue. Funny though, it worked for a little bit, long enough for me to send a test email to myself from another account, then it gave me the error. It isn't telling me what the error is, however. I have deleted the account and re-created it. Works again for a little bit (minutes), then errors out.

Supposedly, Bug 31274 will fix this problem. I don't personally see how merely tracing account verification is going to improve things, unless the traces are used by the developers as the basis for writing a fix, but they've been telling us that Bug 31274 will fix the problem. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if they use it to actually write a fix.