Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: couldn't start

Default couldn't start

Hai
    I am happy about Yahoo-Zimbra, but i have a problem too. Today when i clicked the shortcut it said COULDN'T START YAHOO ZIMBRA DESKTOP SERVER, GIVING UP. this is the second time i am facing this problem. last time i thought i had some problem in my laptop, and downloaded it again.

Kindly help me out.

bye,
    mano.

Welcome to the forums,

Linux:
    cd /home/user/zimbra/zdesktop (go to install directory)
    ./zdesktop start

Windows:
    Start > Run (or win-r)
    services.msc
    Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service
    Toggle stop/start

Mac:
    cd ~/zimbra/zdesktop (go to install directory)
    launchctl start com.zimbra.zdesktop

If you can't load the UI after restarting the services check the ~/zimbra/zdesktop/log/ directory for errors.

Still it says ERROR 1: INCORRECT FUNCTION

I'm getting exactly the same error.

Staring Zimbra Desktop results in the error "COULDN'T START YAHOO ZIMBRA DESKTOP SERVER, GIVING UP", trying to start the service by hand leads to "ERROR 1: INCORRECT FUNCTION".

It would be really nice if this could be fixed - Zimbra Desktop is useless to me now, I don't want to reinstall every time I want to use it ;-)

@devs: I don't know this for sure, but I _think_ that this started after I took my laptop from work home and got online there. Here at work I am member in a domain, at home not. Maybe this is causing problems?

Btw, looking into the logs dir, the latest mtime is 2008-08-22, the last time I was able to start Zimbra Desktop.

Is there a log or a place to see why the service can't be started?
    Windows Event Log only says the same thing, "The service "Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service" has been stopped with the following error: Incorrect function." (sorry, maybe the wording is not 100%, had to translate this from german).

When this happens, please check the logs under <install>/log folder. There are 3 files to check, zdesktop.out, zdesktop.err and mailbox.log.

Hmm ok, I should've rephrased that. Please take a look at my last post, the log files aren't even touched. The last change date of any of the log files is 3 weeks ago (which was the last time it started).

And, again, I tried both variants, starting through the link in the start menu, AND starting the service. Both failed. And both didn't touch the log files.

That is very odd. Usually when this happens there's something written to the log. What OS are you on?

Windows Vista SP1

I had this problem from the beginning, always after a few days. reinstalled once, but again, after a few days it stopped working.

I just removed all log files and tried both variants again, nothing. No log files created.

Please let me know if there is a manual start mode for the service, there has to be some exe or something. Maybe with console debugging? I'd really love to use ZDesktop und get this bug fixed. Or just want to know whats happening.

Like I wrote before, it _could_ be that it started happening after I started ZDesktop at home outside of the normal domain, that the laptop is usually located in in the company network.

On windows we install the backgroud service as a windows service. The way to manually start it is to go to the control panel's services console and try there.

However if it doesn't even generate logs, sometime lower level is not working. Could you check windows event log?