Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra crash/ Re-install doesn't work

It did go all the way and at the end [ when we expect to see the screen woth checkbox to launch the ZDesktop], this error is seen.

The problem symptom seen is exactly same as mentioned by the user "zimbar" in http://www.zimbra.com/forums/error-r...ven-start.html

Re,
    Sam

I am now having the same issue. My system locked up last night, so I had to power cycle this morning. After the power cycle, I can't get zdesktop to run.

I tried a re-install, and the installer says it can't run because zdesktop is still running, which it isn't.

So, I moved my old zimbra out of the way, and installed from scratch. I then moved derby, store, index, redolog, and log into the new zimbra. The problem comes up again.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I was forced to move my email to local storage folders indetad of IMAP folders (long story), and I don't want to lose all my emails.

My zdesktop.out file wouldn't upload, too big. Here's a copy/paste of what I think may be important:

Code:
    Thu Feb 26 10:12:38 CST 2009: error communicating with LDAP (will retry)
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: ZimbraLdapContext
    ExceptionId:main:1235664758375:f441af73589fc6a1
    Code:service.FAILURE
    I'm with out email now, and in serious trouble.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is there a standalone tool I can use to get my data out of the Derby DB? The Email is more important to me than the calendar at this point.

And of course, this sh*t hits before we move to a Zimbra Server solution, where IMAP would have worked.
    Last edited by gbr; 02-26-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbr View Post
    Is there a standalone tool I can use to get my data out of the Derby DB? The Email is more important to me than the calendar at this point.

And of course, this sh*t hits before we move to a Zimbra Server solution.
    It would be of great help if we could manage to get the data out. But since I believe the messages are stored in the store and only metadata is in the Derby DB, I doubt if it can help us much. Anyways, we can wait for the experts to confirm this.

Re,
    Sam

Default More info on the install failure

I tried to monitor the processes while the install is in progress.

Here is what I could find:
    1> After the screen where it asks to create a desktop icon, it moves to the screen where the Service is being started up.
    2> While this happens, the process "zdesktop.exe" comes up.
    3> But it gets killed within seconds.
    4> After this happens, we see the "Failed to inject zimlets" error.
    5> When we click OK on this error message, the installer process also exits.

Re,
    Sam

I don't get that. For me the zdesktop app stays running, but the user interface can't connect (though it never says so), and a web browser on port 7633 can't connect either.

gbr, your derby.log shows some derby issues. could you provide your zdesktop.log under <install>/log/zdesktop.log?

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    gbr, your derby.log shows some derby issues. could you provide your zdesktop.log under <install>/log/zdesktop.log?
    Is there any way I can set right Derby? I'm quite desperate to get my data out. I have it stored on the file system in the respective directories.

Re,
    Sam

Sam, if you are using an IMAP service in theory you could start from scratch to resync everything down from server. Is that not an option for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    Sam, if you are using an IMAP service in theory you could start from scratch to resync everything down from server. Is that not an option for you?
    Hello jjzhuang,

Thanks for your reply. Yes IMAP has the data on the server for me. So I'm fine with that part of the data.

My only problem is with the Sent items. Unfortunately, all mails I sent from Zimbra Desktop on that account went into the ZD "Sent" folder and not the IMAP "Sent Items" folder. That is the only data which I am missing. It contains critical data for me. Is there any way I can get that out?

I missed the trick before. Now I have a rule to copy all mails from the "Sent" folder to the IMAP "Sent Items" folder. But this I realized only after the crash happened. As they say, only the bitten is wiser.

Thanks,
    Sam