Thread: Upgrade problem with zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32

Default Upgrade problem with zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32

Hello. Had version zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32.exe installed and running on Windows XP machine. Received notification that an upgrade was available. Agreed to install (version zdesktop_1_0_build_1513_win32). The process uninstalled the existing version, but when it tried to install new update Java threw an exception about something being locked and the process failed. This left me with no Zimbra desktop installed.

I know this is more a Java problem than a Zimbra problem, but I can just see the effect this would have if several hundred zdesktop users suddenly had their e-mail disappear!

Thanks

first of all, make sure zdesktop.exe is not running (task manager). if it is still running, stop it with Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services->Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service->stop; or just kill it with task manager.

once zdesktop.exe is stopped, backup these folders: derby, store, index, so that you won't lose your email if something goes wrong in the following attempts of restoring zd.

before re-installing zd, do you see .install4j/installation.log under your installation directory? if there is one, please attach it here - that will help us to figure out what went wrong.

now try these steps:

1) download zd installer from Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac and try to reinstall it at the same location.

2) if (1) still fails, follow the instruction here to do a manual uninstall; then re-install again.

Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

to restore your email once you have a successful installation, you will have to stop zdesktop.exe again, copy back those 3 folders you backed up; launch zd.

Darn -- i had already re-installed. If I have the problem again I'll be sure to upload the log. thank you!