Thread: [BUG] LC_PAPER environment ignored on Linux

Default [BUG] LC_PAPER environment ignored on Linux

Hi Guys,

Prism seems to ignore the LC_PAPER environment setting and defaults it to Letter
    causing printjobs to hang on the printer (Insert Letter paper *RED light*).

Well the world is bigger than America and a lot of people are using A4 as paper format.
    It's indeed possible to set the Paper size in Zimbra but when the Javascript (and this is the case when using the print button in Zimbra) function
    is used to print it's being set to Letter again.

This problem not only affects Zimbra but also Firefox and Thunderbird. And I know
    it's not a direct Zimbra bug. It's p**** our adminstrators + users off.

I found an upstream bugreport for it onhttps://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147419 . But maybe Zimbra can do something with it or other people who have a work around for it?

Cheers,
    Gerwin
    Last edited by uxbod; 03-11-2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: modified language ;)

Don't think this is application specific. Must be a system wide configuration issue. You may be able to search online for solutions.

It only affects programs from Mozilla (read mozilla bugreport) so no it's not system wide. And because of Zimbra is using Mozilla Prism, Zimbra desktop is also effected.

I'm running ZD 1.0.4 (build 1833) on openSUSE Linux 11.3 and have verified all appropriate printer settings. Same as gerwin reported, printer settings when printing from Mozilla (products) and/or ZD cannot be changed from "US Letter" to A4 which is the European standard. Other programs run under Linux allow changing the paper format w/o problems.

Since last posting dates from November 2009, I was wondering whether you have found a workaround for this issue in the meantime.

Cheers,

araucano

Default LC PAPER environment ignored on Linux

Further to my earlier post today, I'd like to add that the printing issue out of Mozilla applications is solved by installing the Mozilla Runtime Environment 1.9.1 and 1.9.2. If you're running a 64-Bit architecture make sure you also install the 32-Bit version. You may check which packages you have installed using the Yast2 GUI and the "Install/Remove Software" option. Once the dialog box allows you to search for software make sure you tick the option "RPM "Provides"". Then search for "xprint". The search result will allow you to verify whether you have (or not) already installed the needed packages.

This did solve my priting issues out of Mozilla products. It did NOT however solve the printing issues (i.e. changing paper size settings) with Zimbra Desktop. Even when you change the printer settings to A4 (via options at the lower right hand corner of the ZD GUI) prior to printing it does not help. The paper size remains to "Letter". There seems to be a workaround for this though:

1.) Highlight the mail you wish to print. The print preview and the dialog box for the printing job appear.
    2.) Close the dialog box for the printing job. The print preview (should) remain open.
    3.) Press Strg+p. The dialog box for the printing job appears again. Make sure you check the paper size. If you have previously changed the paper settings as described in the previous para to A4, the paper size will appear as "A4".
    4.) Execute the print job. The mail will be printed and the page preview dialog will close automatically.

Nevertheless the above procedure is a bit cumbersome for my own taste. A simpler solution should be found to pay tribute to Zimbra's overall excellent performance. So back to you guys!
    Last edited by araucano; 07-29-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Have found a slightly cumbersome workaround

Default Zimbra printing - no A4 paper size default

This problem still exists. Anyone have any further information on a fix?