Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Desktop won't resolve hostnames

Default Zimbra Desktop won't resolve hostnames

I'm using the Zimbra Desktop Beta program and couldn't find a different place to post this so if someone knows if there is a better place to report this I'd be happy to do it there as well:

I run Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit and Fedora Core 10 32-bit with Zimbra desktop on both and they appear to have stopped resolving host names for both imbedded links and the mail server names. When I put IP addresses in it works just fine, otherwise it tells me:

"http://mail.xxx.com/service/soap/" host not found. Please check hostname and network connectivity.

Here are the error codes in order:

Code:
    Error: Cc['@mozilla.org/desktop-environment;1'] is undefined
    Source File: file:///home/triem/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/extensions/prism-runtime@developer.mozilla.org/components/nsPlatformGlue.js
    Line: 329

Source File: file:///home/triem/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/extensions/prism-runtime@developer.mozilla.org/components/nsPlatformGlue.js
    Line: 329

Warning: anonymous function does not always return a value
    Source File: http://localhost:7633/zimbra/desktop/js/desktop.js
    Line: 120, Column: 9
    Source Code:
      return true; 

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.canGoBack]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml :: get_canGoBack :: line 0"  data: no]
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
    Line: 0

Source File: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js
    Line: 177

Line: 770

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 431"  data: no]
    Line: 431

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 431"  data: no]
    Line: 431

please try to open zd ui from Firefox: Account Setup->open in web browser (a link at the bottom of the setup page)

Default fixed with todays update

Thanks for your reply, I've just gotten to getting back to you and there was a zimbra desktop update today which has resolved this problem.

Thank you Zimbra team for your quick fix to this problem!

Brad

Default 64bit Jaunty and ZD

Same issue here, it says it can't find the server. Using Firefox I get the same error. I know that the 32 bit is not supported but it has been a very long time since the 64bit was suggested and taken on board, looks like it was. Any beta we can test?

Ditto here... adding a host name to the /etc/hosts file "fixes" the issue, but it would be better to be able to do DNS name resolution!

Default host name?

Quote Originally Posted by mossholderm View Post
    Ditto here... adding a host name to the /etc/hosts file "fixes" the issue, but it would be better to be able to do DNS name resolution!
    How do I add a host name to the /etc/hosts file???
    where is the file and what name is used?
    I have had this very same problem during the install and I just downloaded the Zimbra 2 or 3 days ago. One of the previous posts says it was fixed, but evidently not.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Walt

You are telling the system that a server name refers to a particular IP address instead of your PC looking for DNS to resolve it.

To do this you add a line at the end of the hosts file on your PC. Use a line similar to the one below but change to suit your server IP and name:

my.zimbra.server 192.168.0.1

If you are on Windows: open with notepad, c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

(The text file has no extension just a dot hosts.) Edit and then save.

On Linux, it's the same file but found /etc/hosts

Does that help?

K

Default email account setup AFU

Hi Kevin,
    First of all, thank you for your reply. I kind of thought that might have something to do with it, but I am new to this. My operating system is the new kubuntu 64bit. The only problem I have with your suggestion is that I thought what I downloaded here on zimbra was an email "client" and so didn't think a server on my computer was involved. however, i will try anything.

here is where I am at in the install process:
    I'm stuck at step three on this page--> Zimbra Mail Help

it always says the server cant be found and check internet connnection. I know my internet connection is good because everything else works. Also, in this same "account setup dialogue box" there are links near the bottom. stuff like "Help" and other links that are internet addresses. clicking on those links give me the same results. no internete connection. However, if I copy the link and paste into a browser, they work just fine.

I wonder if any of this makes sense. I wouldn't know.

thank you for your help.
    Walt

p.s. that link didn't work so i'm pasting the instructions found on that website for the account setup. I'm stuck on step 3, below.

To set up your account
    Before you begin, make sure you are connected to the Internet.

Open Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop and in the right top corner, click Account Setup.

If you already have accounts set up, click Add a New Account.

Select the account to set up. The account setup page displays. Enter the following information.

Account Name. This is the name that displays as the account name in Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop. If you are setting up multiple accounts, be sure to create a name you can easily recognize to identify each account. For example, for your Yahoo! account, you could use Yahoo.

Your full name. Enter your name. This is not required.

Email Address. Enter your email address for this account.

Password. Enter the password that you enter to log into your account.

In Synchronization Settings, select how often Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop should get data from your account. The default is to synchronize every 15 minutes.

If you select manually, you must click Send/Receive on the Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop toolbar to synchronize your account with the Zimbra server.

If you select too short of time, such as 1 minute, your computer’s performance could be impacted.

You can change this setting any time by clicking Account Setup and selecting the account and modifying the setting

Select what folders you want to synchronize from your mailbox:

Email Messages In all folders, or only in your Inbox folder

Calendar to synchronize all calendars (not available for Live Hotmail and AOL)

Contacts to synchronize all contacts and groups (not available for AOL)

Step 3. When you are finished, click Test & Save.

Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop validates your account information. If your account is successfully validated, you see the Service Created dialog. If your account is not successfully validated, you are returned to the Account Setup dialog so you can review and correct the details.

Your account begins to synchronize with Zimbra Desktop.

Click Launch Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop to open Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop. You can work in Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop as your account is being synchronized.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindods View Post
    You are telling the system that a server name refers to a particular IP address instead of your PC looking for DNS to resolve it.

To do this you add a line at the end of the hosts file on your PC. Use a line similar to the one below but change to suit your server IP and name:

my.zimbra.server 192.168.0.1

If you are on Windows: open with notepad, c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

(The text file has no extension just a dot hosts.) Edit and then save.

On Linux, it's the same file but found /etc/hosts

Does that help?

K
    Last edited by walterramjet; 05-17-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Hi Walter

May I ask what type of mail server you are connecting to? Zimbra Desktop can connect to a Zimbra Server but also a bunch of other types to and it might help to know what you want to use ZD with.

The reason you have the error is probably because your PC can't resolve the server name to an IP address and to ZD it looks like it can't find the server. That's the information you can 'fix' with the hosts. file So find the IP address for whichever server(s) you want to connect to and setup the hosts file.

Get back to me if that doesnt make sense - but me know how you get on anyhow :-)

Default Email account setup AFU

Hi Kevin,

the email i'm trying to setup is hotmail. however, I dont believe that is the problem.
    In the setup window, there are 6 other internet links.
    They are:

home • online help • release notes • faq • support forums • open in web browser

For instance, the link above that says "home" is http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html

when I click on that link or any other link in this email account setup box, another window opens (not a browser window) and an alert box opens that says, "www.zimbra.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again." However, if I copy that link and paste it in my browser, it works just fine.

It is madness!