Thread: [ZD2 beta] application doesn't install its whole data in the chosen directory !!!

Exclamation [ZD2 beta] application doesn't install its whole data in the chosen directory !!!

hi !

i just download and install zimbra destop 2 beta (zdesktop_2_0_beta1_b10343_win32.msi).
    I choose to install it on my E: drive because there is more space than the C: drive (less than 1 Gb free).
    The main application is well installed in e: but the mail folder is anywhere else !!! and on the C: drive (but i didn't know where, i search in program files but it is not there!!).
    My mailbox need 2GB of space for the zdesktop1 !!! so while zdesktop2 tried to synchronise for the first time, then it crashed with this message :

Code:
    Impossible de communiquer avec le serveur distant (problème temporaire). Patientez quelques instants et réessayez.

Message de débogage: [SQLITE_FULL] Insertion failed because database is full (database or disk is full)

Exception:

com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: writing metadata for mailbox 2, item 11
    ExceptionId:sync-mbox-michael@exoca.fr:1265724461578:4c01a6ef60d52ed9
    Code:service.FAILURE
    	at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:248)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbMailItem.saveMetadata(DbMailItem.java:687)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.saveMetadata(MailItem.java:2872)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.saveMetadata(MailItem.java:2865)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Folder.alterTag(Folder.java:923)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Folder.setPermissions(Folder.java:393)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.setPermissions(Mailbox.java:5831)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DeltaSync.syncFolder(DeltaSync.java:479)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.InitialSync.syncFolder(InitialSync.java:538)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.InitialSync.syncContainer(InitialSync.java:442)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.InitialSync.initialFolderSync(InitialSync.java:225)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.InitialSync.resume(InitialSync.java:191)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.InitialSync.resume(InitialSync.java:175)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailboxSync.sync(MailboxSync.java:172)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sync(ZcsMailbox.java:109)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.syncOnTimer(ZcsMailbox.java:90)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.SyncMailbox$1.run(SyncMailbox.java:254)
    	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: [SQLITE_FULL]  Insertion failed because database is full (database or disk is full)
    	at org.sqlite.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:415)
    	at org.sqlite.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:420)
    	at org.sqlite.DB.execute(DB.java:367)
    	at org.sqlite.DB.executeUpdate(DB.java:391)
    	at org.sqlite.PrepStmt.executeUpdate(PrepStmt.java:88)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.db.DebugPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DebugPreparedStatement.java:173)
    	at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:102)
    	at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbMailItem.saveMetadata(DbMailItem.java:685)
    	... 17 more

Si le problème persiste, soumettez une description et les détails de débogage dans cette page.

so, why and how to tell zdesktop to use ONLY the e: like i said in the wizard install option ??
    Last edited by Michael REMY; 02-09-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Default arf !

arf !

i found out where other files are stored, under windows XP, they are in

C:\Documents and Settings\%your account%\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra
    even if i choose E:\ during the installation program !

What is strange that is there a e:\zimbra folder containing 200 Mb of file too !

i posted the folders tree picture, maybe somethone should be interesting by the different strucutre....

and i just discovered that the shortcut is strange pathed :
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe "E:\zimbra\win32\zdrun.vbs"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael REMY; 02-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Talking well

well...

so i just tried to uninstall it to free my system disk space but........the data in c:\ is still there, nothing is uninstalled there ....

but the E:/zimbra is well left (in fact no, the the folder is nearly empty)!

It's unfortunate for you because of the lack of space on your C-drive, but the ZD2 beta is installing/working as intended. The program files are installed where you specified (E-drive), but user data files are saved under each user's "Application Data" location, which is under the C-drive. Note that this is a change from ZD 1.0, where everything was installed in one location. The problem with the 1.0 method is that it didn't lend itself to the situation where more than one person uses the computer. Now with 2.0 it behaves more like a standard Windows app. I think you would run int the same thing with other email apps like Outlook and Thunderbird.

Arrow

so this behavior is "normal" for the ZD2 isn't it ?

i think you forgot soemthing important :

With the older release (ZD1), as i could install the whole app (soft+data) in one drive, i had 2 big advantages which disapear now :

1 - the ZD could be portable : i could install it on a USB key and bring it on any windows pc where ZD1 was installed in same location (always on E drive never on C) !

2 - i could install it on a net drive to perform a backup of my own mailbox (more than 2GB of data is very long to synchronyze) for offline browsing. Then when i was installed it (Holly ZD1) on a net drive, i was sure the mailbox was very protected (don't forget all the emails (aka the .MSG files) are fully clear and not encrypted !!!) As we know, a windows desktop user account is very unsecured, so storing the mailbox there is like putting a money bag in your flower box !

Moreover, now, as my store folder (mailbox) of 2 Go is installed in my default account windows folder, that means zimbra desktop cannot be "user-friendly' used in a windows environement network with roaming profil (win server 2003,2008..) cause the profil is uploaded on local machine at each login session. Do you imagine a 2Go profil download trasnfert at each openned session ? Even, do you imagine the re-upload time profil when the user will close his remote session ? The administrator will not install any mail on a local unsecured drive, and by the way the standard policy of capacity for system drive is ofter short so, like me, the users will be out of space !
    Don't you want Zimbra desktop to be use in a wide firm under a windows network without Exchange ? Then you had to consider this roaming profile utilisation.

The best way for this wizard should have be to let the user choose the install path directory AND the default location to store the main data.

Well, as it is a beta release, maybe you shall consider my notices....

PS : by the way, Outlook (and surely Thunderbird) let you choose the folder for storing your PST mailbox)
    PS2 : and i didn't speak about Mandatory profiles with this ZD2 : at each log session, user will have to resynch his mailbox cause :
    "A mandatory user profile is a preconfigured, read-only roaming user profile that administrators can use to specify settings for users. With a mandatory user profile, a user can modify the desktop, but any changes made are not saved when the user logs off. The next time the user logs on, the mandatory user profile set by the administrator is downloaded. There is also a special type of mandatory profile known as a super-mandatory profile."

source: Roaming user profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS 3 : and i never stored any personal data on the system drive cause in 95% of any situation, it is this hard drive (or partition) which will crash in first place or attacked by virus.
    Last edited by Michael REMY; 02-09-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks for the lively discussion here! soxfan's observation is correct, that we made the effort to be more like standard Windows app behaviors. But Michael has some very good points too. We are actually aware of this issue. Since the data set can be potentially very huge, it's better to give user an option. There's already an RFE open for this: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=43474

Default ok

so, by the way, do not forget the maibox is not erased when you uninstalled the application whereas it was done with previous release.