Thread: Zimbra Desktop won't start

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra Desktop won't start

There's like a zillion messages on this forum regarding this issue and no answers. Typically when zdesktop v 7.1.2 doesn't start, another attempt at starting it works. On version 7.1.4, it just sits there and hangs. This totally blows. Specs below:

Zimbra desktop 7.1.4 build 11273
    OS is Centos 5.8
    Java is Sun Java SE build 1.6.0_22-b04

Zdesktop worked ok until I decided to upgrade from 7.1.2 to the latest build. Now it won't even start. I give run it with the typical command line and all I get is the jetty screen with the circle in the middle. I can't even click on the menu on the bottom right to see the logs. I do have like 10 Gigs of email which were no problem on 7.1.2. On 7.1.4 all I get when starting from a shell is the circle in the middle going round and round and the machine gets load for like 10 seconds. After that the app just takes up space in RAM and does absolutely nothing. Here's the output from the command line:

JETTY_HOME = /fast/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty
    JETTY_RUN = /fast/user/zdesktop/log
    JETTY_PID = /fast/user/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.pid
    JETTY_CONSOLE = /fast/user/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.out
    JETTY_ARGS =
    CONFIGS = /fast/user/zdesktop/jetty/etc/jetty.xml
    JAVA_OPTIONS = -client -d32 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms32m -Xmx150m -Xss150k -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40 -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=70 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -DSTART='/fast/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/etc/start.config' -Dzimbra.home='/fast/user/zdesktop' -Dzimbra.config='/fast/user/zdesktop/conf/localconfig.xml' -Djava.library.path='/fast/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/../lib' -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir='/fast/user/zdesktop/data/tmp/java' -Djava.net.useSystemProxies=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=10 -Djetty.home='/fast/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty'
    JAVA = /fast/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java
    Starting Jetty:
    Jetty running pid=5570

The fix is to downgrade to version 7.1.2. Man, the ZD team really need better QA... I bet the reason why 7.1.2 sometimes fails to start is some race condition between services that start-up along with jetty. Once all the services are cached in memory, they start up properly.

BTW, anybody that erased their emails when they upgrade Zimbra Desktop, it happens because when you upgrade, you should only upgrade the software, not the user data. If you choose to install the user base files, you'll overwrite all your data. The best way to upgrade is to do a backup of your data anyway...

Default That's EXACTLY it ...

Thanks for posting that. I love Zimbra Desktop on my Ubuntu workstations but it is fairly frightening to upgrade.

Sure enough, rolling back to 7.1.2 works great.

I rolled back to 7.1.2 and did a couple reindex plus made sure I had multiple clean startup and shutdowns.

Roll forward to 7.1.4 and whammo, hangs (zdesktop.out log below).

Roll back to 7.1.2 and all is well.

Fatal error: terminating: cannot initialize RightManager
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: parse error: unable to parse right: [viewGrants]
    ExceptionId:main:1332939202291:6989d96c219e15e4
    Code:service.PARSE_ERROR
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.PARSE_E RROR(ServiceException.java:271)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.l oadRight(RightManager.java:446)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.l oadSystemRights(RightManager.java:409)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.< init>(RightManager.java:158)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.g etInstance(RightManager.java:120)
    at com.zimbra.cs.util.Zimbra.startup(Zimbra.java:188)
    at com.zimbra.cs.util.Zimbra.startup(Zimbra.java:125)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.init(SoapServlet.java: 130)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.j ava:241)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServle t(ServletHolder.java:440)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(Se rvletHolder.java:263)
    at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(Abst ractLifeCycle.java:50)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializ e(ServletHandler.java:685)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Con text.java:140)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContex t(WebAppContext.java:1254)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(C ontextHandler.java:517)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(Web AppContext.java:471)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStar t(HandlerCollection.java:152)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:156)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStar t(HandlerCollection.java:152)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(H andlerWrapper.java:130)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(H andlerWrapper.java:130)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)
    at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfigura tion.java:985)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.mortbay.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:194)
    at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:534)
    at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:441)
    at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:119)
    Caused by: com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: parse error: invalid element: doc
    ExceptionId:main:1332939202291:6989d96c219e15e4
    Code:service.PARSE_ERROR
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.PARSE_E RROR(ServiceException.java:271)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.p arseRight(RightManager.java:347)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.accesscontrol.RightManager.l oadRight(RightManager.java:431)
    ... 35 more

STARTED Jetty Wed Mar 28 08:53:59 EDT 2012
    STOPPED Wed Mar 28 08:53:59 EDT 2012

How can I download 7.1.2? I haven't used Zimbra Desktop before. I downloaded 7.1.4 the other day, and it won't open on my Mac.

Thanks.