Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

Hi dijichi2,

I wanted to respond to the line that Microsoft won't care about the petition. I agree, however, it isn't Microsoft or Yahoo who will be approving this merger. Even if Yahoo accepts Microsoft's offer, it makes no difference. This merger is anti-competitive and Microsoft has already been found to be a monopolist in the desktop OS. They may have a monopoly in the Exchange Server area, or at least an extremely dominant position.

Unlike the board game, Monopoly is a bad thing. A monopoly is when a company is so successful and becomes so dominant, that the competition no longer has a chance. Think of it as capitalism out of control. It is the government's function to fix that and restore healthy competition.

Remember Esso (now Exxon) was broken up? AT&T was broken up, and all the baby bells were spun off. It is not hopeless. Here we aren't even talking about a breakup which is very difficult to oversee, we are talking about not permitting a merger, much simpler. Microsoft getting Zimbra would be extremely anti-competitive. I think the chances we will win are quite good. The only fear I have is do people understand what Exchange Server and Zimbra are? Since we are the experts, it is up to us to get the word out.

And Yahoo and Zimbra together are a stronger competitor to Exchange than Zimbra as a stand-alone company. So while it is possible the government can force Yahoo to spin off Zimbra before the merger is consummated, even that would be anti-competitive and would be a partial win for Microsoft. The Yahoo-Microsoft deal can not be allowed to go through.

We will win. Am I willing to sit back and trust this will go perfectly? No. That is why the time to make some noise is now!

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Hi Rusty

I understand your point of thinking, and greatly respect your passion about this issue. However, whether they will benefit or not, the vast majority of people who would read what you were advocating won't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about, and spamming will only serve to blacken the name of Zimbra and be ultimately counterproductive.

Unfortunately at this time getting the general public involved in a grassroots rebellion will accomplish little - at this point of a public hostile takeover I would have thought Yahoo has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders not to throw it's assets out of the aeroplane door, so to speak. Doing something as major as opensourcing Zimbra would require board approval, and given that it is a small but very strategically important piece to Microsoft I just can't see this happening, not unless it is done to deliberately offrail the takeover and there would be shareholder revolt should this be done and legal consequences.

Generally I agree with this, but I strongly disagree with the last sentence. The value of an internet/community/opensource product, which Zimbra partially claims to be, is to various degrees tied to the strength of it's online community and users. In particular with Zimbra, as there is so much overlap with the community and commercial products and clientbase, shouting very loudly that paying customers will jump ship if Microsoft takes over, which costs nothing to do, would in most situations be a very powerful disuading argument.

Unfortunately, in this case, the predator company will almost certainly have no interest in this vocal outburst when they likely just want to kill the product.

Lots of people - including me - were outraged and very pessimistic for the future of Zimbra when Microsoft came onto the scene - it made the sale to Yahoo for such a small sum look like a disastrous decision. For sure the future still looks uncertain but I have a feeling that one way or another, Zimbra will come out the other end even stronger. I think that either regulatory issues or the Zimbra team will ensure that Zimbra lives on in one form or another. I still pay for my commercial licenses, and I am still working on contributing to the community source code.

Hi dwmtractor

Just read your post. Sorry if I bent or broke any rules. I'll be more consious of what I'm proposing in terms of Zimbra forum etiquette.

As for your personal comment, check out the petition, we went from under 40 to 102 signatures in the last day. Click on view signatures and scroll through all the names and read their comments.

When I do that, I feel inspired. People do care.

Are you sure you want to call the game in the first inning?

To see petition, click here Support against Microsoft takeover attempt on Zimbra (part of Yahoo), an Exchange Server alternative Petition

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    I thought about making this a PM to Rusty, but I think we need to be open here. Rusty, you have every right to make your points on this forum like anyone else, and you'll notice that neither Zimbra employees nor we moderators have interfered. However, when you use the Zimbra forums to advocate sending ANYTHING to everyone you know, you are violating both netiquette and forum rules. I'm going to moderate that post, NOT to censor your opinions, but to preserve the integrity of the Zimbra forum.

Just to be perfectly clear here: Everyone has the right to post their opinions on this forum. However, advocating unethical or inappropriate email behavior is not acceptable on the forum of a reputable mail program.

Now removing my moderator's hat and speaking my personal opinion: As of this afternoon you have 13 replies to your "online petition" thread and a total of 35 posts on your whole forum since you started it two months ago. Far from lack of knowledge (thousands have read this thread alone on the Zimbra forum), I believe this evidences lack of interest on the part of those who know, to sign online petitions.

In a business like this, it's money that talks, not the opinion of a bunch of open-source users like you and me. If Warren Buffett wants to buy Zimbra and make it open source, he can offer enough $$$ to do so. But an online petition, even if it has thousands of signatures, won't accomplish the job. Basically, what costs nothing is worth just about that much when it comes to influencing a business decision.

Now I'll climb down off my soapbox. . .
    Last edited by rusty; 04-08-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Just as a funny aside, I checked out the petition and when I viewed signatures, the ad given to me was for Exchange hosting. I just got a little chuckle at the humor of the situation.

Default From MacNN today...

Investor: MS 'blundered' in threats towards Yahoo
    Microsoft "blundered" this weekend when it threatened to underbid in a hostile takeover of Yahoo, according to one of the latter company's major shareholders. Bill Miller, the portfolio manager for Legg Mason, states that his company is ready to back Yahoo's desire to stay independent, which is aided by its 7 percent control. This makes Legg Mason the second most powerful shareholder for Yahoo, behind only Capital Research & Management.

In reference to the Mercury News article, that seems more like a misleading headline than truth. While Gene Munster reported that a majority of the investors they polled preferred it, they do not state who the investors are, what percentage were for it, and would not answer follow-up questions. Additionally, the article actually contradicted itself by the end stating that Yahoo! is saying most investors prefer an independent Yahoo!

The whole article seemed more like FUD than actual news. But that's just my opinion.

Imho, MS will end up paying what Yahoo asked, 50 bil $, MS doesn't have too much options, Google is too much of a threat for them.

That leaves us with no Zimbra.

Best thing that could happen is that someone else acquires Zimbra before MS does. Sun or Red Hat.

In this form, with current license, I don't think community edition has any chance.

maybe redhat and sun not feel like to buy zimbra is because they are waiting for the development of samba4 + openchange?
    I don't know anything about coding.. just a wild guess

For those who are keeping track of all the news...here's something new from WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120776803032602423.html

Quote Originally Posted by stock99 View Post
    maybe redhat and sun not feel like to buy zimbra is because they are waiting for the development of samba4 + openchange?
    I don't know anything about coding.. just a wild guess
    Well, Sun does have it's own product, calendar server, however, I'm not sure how much revenue that generates. Besides, Zimbra would be a great fit for Sun, with its recent opensource (GPL) push, and MySQL acquisition. And, as far as I know, Sun has server side implementation of MS protocols, meaning no Outlook plugin would be needed

I was under impression that Zimbra generates a nice cash flow, it is definitely easier to sell than Sun's calendar server, it seems like a great deal to me.