Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

Smile Reminds me of Oracle's acquisition of BEA

Whilst I agree this is great news. This does remind me of Oracle's acquisition of BEA.

30 October 2007 - Oracle drops BEA acquisition offer
    Oracle drops BEA acquisition offer - Business - iTnews Australia

17 January 2008 - Oracle to buy BEA Systems for US$8.5 billion
    Oracle to buy BEA Systems for US$8.5 billion - Business - iTnews Australia

I'm no analyst but I'll be much happier in 3+ months time

Just one word - Yahoo!

Cheeeeeeeers..i will drink 1 for it tonight

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Default Yahoo?

GreenRenault,

I am glad that at least *somebody* posting to this thread today is not drunk.

Sure, this announcement by MSFT is not *bad* news, but the story is not over,

Yahoo shareholders are probably going to sue the board for *not* accepting MSFT's offer.

I can envision a headline in January 2009: "MSFT acquires Yahoo! for 6.5 Billion"

I am somebody who is looking at Zimbra as a possible solution for my organization. Zimbra is not out of the woods yet.

Zimbra and Yahoo! still need to find a way to inoculate this product -- change licensing to make sure that it is not an attractive target. If MSFT still sees a way to come back and kill off Zimbra as part of a takeover, it will only add to their motivation to come back. In some positive way, Zimbra needs to be figuring out "What is the poison pill?"

For me, I need to figure out: "What will it take to trust this product?"

J

Smile Lesson learnt: Zimbra licensing must change

Quote Originally Posted by geste View Post
    I am somebody who is looking at Zimbra as a possible solution for my organization. Zimbra is not out of the woods yet.

Zimbra and Yahoo! still need to find a way to inoculate this product -- change licensing to make sure that it is not an attractive target. If MSFT still sees a way to come back and kill off Zimbra as part of a takeover, it will only add to their motivation to come back. In some positive way, Zimbra needs to be figuring out "What is the poison pill?"

For me, I need to figure out: "What will it take to trust this product?"
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think a very important lesson has been learnt from this threat to Zimbra - I just hope that the people who can make the necessary changes are going to do so.

The Zimbra licensing must change so that the product can live on in the community, regardless of who pays the salaries for Zimbra the company / department / section / group / dev. team. I believe there is enough customers, developers and interest out there for Zimbra to live on.

I hope changes are made very shortly to the Zimbra licensing to get us all out of this disastrous eventuality. Now is the time to change the Zimbra license. At least remove the Zimbra branding / badge ware requirement.

So whilst the pause in the MS take-over is GREAT NEWS. The existing Zimbra community must continue to lobby Zimbra to change licensing so that this threat can never happen again.

Wheeeew, this was close!

Now, lets hope Yahoo will avoid proxy fight, and will find a way to raise profits to prove they were right when saying MS offer undervalued company.

And Zimbra should be sold to Sun and GLPed

Congrats to Yahoo and Zimbra guys, and big congrats to all of us who would be screwed if Zimbra tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by greenrenault View Post
    Whilst I agree this is great news. This does remind me of Oracle's acquisition of BEA.

30 October 2007 - Oracle drops BEA acquisition offer
    Oracle drops BEA acquisition offer - Business - iTnews Australia

17 January 2008 - Oracle to buy BEA Systems for US$8.5 billion
    Oracle to buy BEA Systems for US$8.5 billion - Business - iTnews Australia

I'm no analyst but I'll be much happier in 3+ months time
    Now that I think about it, I totally agree.

I've read on a few blogs about the skepticism surrounding the M$ offer withdrawal, and one thing rings prevalent on all of them: now that Yahoo! has dodged this bullet, they need to really do something to innovate in the marketplace or this won't be the last threat of hostile takeover they have to defend themselves against...and next time the stockholders might not be so quick to say no.

Am I alone in thinking that we dodged a bullet here, and the correct solution is not to continue with business as usual, but to take this as a lesson learned and FIX THE LICENSE??? With respect to whoever added [SOLVED] to the thread name, I think that's a bit premature, whether MS really sticks to their withdrawal or not. We've got an underlying problem here that needs to be fixed so this can't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by bjquinn View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that we dodged a bullet here, and the correct solution is not to continue with business as usual, but to take this as a lesson learned and FIX THE LICENSE??? With respect to whoever added [SOLVED] to the thread name, I think that's a bit premature, whether MS really sticks to their withdrawal or not. We've got an underlying problem here that needs to be fixed so this can't happen again.
    I wish .. deals like this take years of planning.. But in short M$'s board might be a bit more leary of these investments in with the current economic climate. I hope the LIC. Changes.. but NE has p-code anyway.. (the mobile part) so Oh-well...

Default M$ is dangerous!!

M$ will continue to buggy Yahoo!!!! The "war" is not over!!!

Zimbra MUST need to be free from any future possible M$ take over!!! M$ will continue under the covers to take over Yahoo! and they will probably success on it!