Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

to quote C3PO - "We are doomed..."

As I'm about to fax a PO for an extra 500 licenses...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The OSS version of Zimbra is just that, Open Source. Whatever happens there should be no change in that status.
    No, it is not. It is YPL, which has attribution clause. On both server and client. So if Yahoo/MS decides to drop it, well, no one can pick it up without idiotic "powered by Zimbra/Yahoo/MS/whatever" banner.

This just sucks, big big time. If Zimbra stayed atl least partly MPL, things could be OK. Now name me individuals or companies that are willing to pick up work on Zimbra after MS drops it, and then attribute all the work to Yahoo/MS?

Quote Originally Posted by timothyalangorman View Post
    At that point... I'll Migrate to

Scalix: Linux Email, Calendaring and Messaging Platform

No way in hell will I run an M$ exchange $erver.
    I've tested Scalix a lot, but as far as the web interface is concerned It just doesn't do the job. When it comes the sharing data it falls down all over the place. Zimbra is miles ahead. Might be a different story though if MS got their hands on Zimbra!
    Last edited by Mike Scholes; 02-01-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timothyalangorman View Post
    At that point... I'll Migrate to

Scalix: Linux Email, Calendaring and Messaging Platform

No way in hell will I run an M$ exchange $erver.
    Scalix is a piece of beep

fselendic > same here. Learning the difference between opensource and free software the tough way.

Quote Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
    to quote C3PO - "We are doomed..."

As I'm about to fax a PO for an extra 500 licenses...
    Fck, yep, we just started campaign and have tons of leads and prospects. Fck, fck, fck.
    Last edited by fselendic; 02-01-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Default Totally Stupid.

can you say scalix?

The whole thing was going to happen It was publicly known that M$ would buy yahoo.. eventually.. in a time of economic despiration so the stock echange and Trade comission would be more apt to approve.
    I let Zimbra then Yahoo pull the wool over my eyes... I was blinded by a nice produce now i'm just another NE admin that may get screwed.
    timg

PS: as far as yahoo signing a clause to not have Zimbra to M$... not a chance that that ever happened...
    In fact the Yahoo people prob Told M$ they'd get zimbra proior to the offer.....

Internal Trade SCAM.
    Last edited by timothyalangorman; 02-01-2008 at 08:28 AM.

As a potential customer, who's been bantering with a sales guy for 3 months now, only held up from purchasing by my own internal hurdles to cross, every time I start to get excited about Zimbra, something like this happens. First Yahoo purchased you, which didn't seem like a good idea at the time, but I accepted it as part of corporate growth... And now MS wants to buy Yahoo?
    I know theres a lot of things that need to happen before thats a done deal...
    And I'm sure I'm saying everything that you already are thinking but...
    1. people buy zimbra because they don't want/like/need exchange.
    2. people buy zimbra because they don't want/like/need/use microsoft produtcts.
    3. people buy zimbra because of your commitment to open standards use.

Microsoft's exchange team is having beer's already at 7:17am PST because of this, you know that, right?

We're concerened because we know what Microsoft does to the competition, and I'm pretty sure that this is a classic Ballmer Move... Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. MS just wants Yahoo's users and advertising business, everything else is secondary and in some cases (zimbra) Yahoo's assets are a threat to theirs (exchange) and will be extinguished.

I for one hope the creators of Zimbra were smart in their sale to Yahoo to protect against a take over that threatens their technology...

Sarcasticly speaking... How long till we see a full zimbra 5.0 NE feature set in the ZCS ?

I agree.. and I've tested.... but I refuse to run an EXChange$ server..
    and my small company (1200) employees are not mobile phone / calendar / soap-webmail junkies.
    tmig

And I'm sure I'm saying everything that you already are thinking but...
    1. people buy zimbra because they don't want/like/need exchange.
    2. people buy zimbra because they don't want/like/need/use microsoft produtcts.
    3. people buy zimbra because of your commitment to open standards use.
    4. People Buy Zimbra because it is a product that works nicely and does not have the disgusting OS flaws that 200X server does....In fact you can run it on YOUR choice of OS...

timg