Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

Hybrid View

Default MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

Microsoft just offered 45B$ for yahoo.
    I hope you know the *level* of disappointment we would be in with our Zimbra purchase if this happens. Let's keep finger crossed. I'd love to hear what you, Zimbra guys, think of this...

Thumbs down Microsoft is here....

What now....?
    Invest on Zimbra deployment as a (real) alternative to Exchange...??? I'm not sure.
    Less expensive, more productive, based on standards.....until when?

I also cross my fingers...

Default the day after Semel resigns from non exec role...

Timing is intriguing. I think Semel was always for a good working relationship with MS but a non supporter of a buyout. With Yahoo profits sliding, redundancies and other difficulties I suspect it will be a tempting offer. Zimbra would not survive that for long. MS have a long history of buy to kill.

I do really hope this isn't a case of told you so....

K

I'm just a Zimbra hosted (at Contegix) customer, but the prospect is worrisome in general. Zimbra is a direct alternative to Exchange. Why would Microsoft want to keep *that* around?

Default Join the GPL call...

Before the purchase is completed!

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...html#post75950

Quote Originally Posted by putt1ck View Post
    And who should GPL it? Yahoo? Why? They payed 360 mil $ for it, or something like that.

Well, on one part is actually our own fault. This will teach me to never look again "kind of" opensource products, with attribution clause. One or two purchases down the road, and all hell breaks loose.

Default What does the Yahoo! buyout mean for Zimbra

Okay, someone has to be the first to ask. Since Yahoo! bought Zimbra, and Microsoft is about to buy Yahoo!, what is to become of Zimbra? I can't imagine Microsoft would want to keep Zimbra around. They hardly need something to replace Exchange.

Thoughts, anyone? (Preferably someone at Zimbra :-)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danfluidmind View Post
    Thoughts, anyone? (Preferably someone at Zimbra :-)
    Nobody has any information yet, it's only just been announced that Microsoft is making an offer. When there's any information to share it will be posted in the forums and anything else is just speculation and a waste of time, it also distracts us from providing support for a great product - that's our primary goal.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Article about the future of Zimbra

There is a very interesting article and discussion about the future of Zimbra here:
    Groklaw - What Will Happen to Zimbra?
    I suggest the Zimbra team release the Open Source version under de GPLv3 in order to protect the project against hostile apropriation by Microsoft or any other competitor.

Question Questions and suggestions for Zimbra. If there's a merger

Seeing as Zimbra was just acquired by Yahoo. Was there a back out clause to buy or get the product back or resale it? This is usually added to protect customer base and commitments from issues just like the one Zimbra finds it customers in now!.

You know Microsoft will destroy the Zimbra product. It has the same base architecture model as Exchange and they will not what to support it, but try to get the current customers migrated to Exchange thus eliminating Zimbra R.I.P.

Zimbra / Yahoo management should look to sell the product as a condition of the merger if it happens. I would look to other large companies like IBM as they have been trying to find a alternate enterprise Email solution for their customer base. As many don't like Domino or are looking for something other then exchange. This is what the whole "WorkPlace" product offering was suppose to address but we all know it didn't work out well. They drop the messaging and other WorkPlace projects. ( Just too much time and money and not enough features). They do better acquiring technologies and integrate with their other products. Not to mention they support Open Source projects and love Linux and Java.

IBM could benefit from such a mature product and your client base would have long term support and relationships. Let face it! As you seen in the forum, it not going well and clients are worried.