Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS/iSCSI

Hybrid View

Default NAS/iSCSI

Just thought I would ask for peoples different experiences of these technologies in combination with ZCS. I am looking to build a filter for my home network and would like to serve LUNs to all my VMs using it. I believe that it would be best to use iSCSI with a giga-network, and then use Open Filer as the appliance software.

What are your thoughts ? I know a couple of other mods are using this software so I would be very grateful for their feedback aswell.

We are in the process of deploying zimbra using vmware esx server wtih a lefthand iscsi san as the storage. so far so good but we only have a dozen users on it so far. I'll wait until we have a few hundred and it's working well before declaring it a good move

I saw your post over on OpenFiler.com's forums...I was kind of wondering the same thing. I have been toying around with openfiler for HSM and for backups.

really considering one of these :- Chenbro Micom Co., Ltd.

I was kinda thinking something like this (in black of course): Supermicro, Inc. - Products | SuperServers | 3U | 6035B-8R+V / 6035B-8R+B

OK, so now I'm jealous. I looked at the storage solution you mentioned. I need it. :-)

If you have a separate box with your scsi solution installed. Would you mount this solution in the /opt directory and the install ZCS? I need to do a little more reading obviously.

Personally, I would present a LUN to the ZCS server and use this storage for the mailstore. I would leave the ZCS installation on the local disks to avoid additional loading time latency.

The SuperMicro box looks nice - loads of disks

Anyone running their mailstore on iSCSI? Or are folks just using it for backups and such?

I'm interested in that aswell. I would imagine that if you are using a dedicated giga-switch for the filer and have a separate NIC in the ZCS for the storage all should be okay. Just remember to keep the length of CAT6e cables as short as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    I'm interested in that aswell. I would imagine that if you are using a dedicated giga-switch for the filer and have a separate NIC in the ZCS for the storage all should be okay. Just remember to keep the length of CAT6e cables as short as possible.
    Depending on how critical your operations are and how much money you have to spend on it you can do even better. if you get stackable switches such as the cisco 3750 and 2 nics on your san storage and server, you plug each nic into a separate switch, create an port channel on the 2 ports you're using (only supported in stacking mode) and use 802.3ad link aggregation. This not only gives you a 2Gbps connection but provides you with fault tolerance as you can lose a nic or even an entire switch and still be running.