Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One last SuSE question.

Hybrid View

Default One last SuSE question.

The product portal says FOSS will be supported on Open SUSE ES 10. I don't think there is such an animal. Is this actually supposed to be SLES 10?

And if so, then if I purchase SLES 10 from Novell should I be able to continue with ZCS FOSS for future releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
    The product portal says FOSS will be supported on Open SUSE ES 10. I don't think there is such an animal. Is this actually supposed to be SLES 10?

And if so, then if I purchase SLES 10 from Novell should I be able to continue with ZCS FOSS for future releases?
    I had heard that the roadmap for SLES10 was anticipation of termination at the end of 6.0.
    FWIW, I've successfully tested migration to CentOS5.2. Completed it yesterday, documenting today. I will wait for OpenSuSE to EOL before I commit the move as I still feel that Zimbra performs better and is easier to manage under OpenSuSE.
    Last edited by tgx; 01-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Default So.

You agree that Open SuSE ES 10 is actually SLES10? And it will at least work through version 6 of Zimbra?

If this is the case I will probably buy SLES 10 and roll on with Zimbra. If it isn't the case I'll probably go back to 602Lan Suite on Windows. They have added a lot of collaboration features since the 2004 version which I was running prior to Zimbra. Plus it will cost me for a license that doesn't expire what one year of Zimbra would cost.

You agree that Open SuSE ES 10 is actually SLES10? And it will at least work through version 6 of Zimbra?

If this is the case I will probably buy SLES 10 and roll on with Zimbra. If it isn't the case I'll probably go back to 602Lan Suite on Windows. They have added a lot of collaboration features since the 2004 version which I was running prior to Zimbra. Plus it will cost me for a license that doesn't expire what one year of Zimbra would cost.
    I do believe that they mean SLES10. However, I would consult with a sales rep as they may have additional information. What kind of pricing have you gotten on SLES10? SLES11 is right around the corner btw, and might be interesting to see if there is any SLES 11 commitments coming out of Zimbra. I tend to think not as OpenSuSE 11.1 is the testbed release for SLES11 and obviously there's no work on that front.

Default SLES10 pricing.

I believe their web site showed a basic 3 yr subscription was $964 or 3 something/year.

I believe their web site showed a basic 3 yr subscription was $964 or 3 something/year.
    "Street" prices for a 1-year SLES maintenance subscription are under $250 and the three-year package is around $700, at least the last time we bought a bunch for our own use.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Default Thanks Mark.

I notice you are running SLES10. I'm running Open SuSE 10.2. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't migrate to SLES10 so I can continue to run ZCS FOSS?

Since all of my Linux servers are SuSE I have no intention of going with a different distro just to run a mail program. But if SLES 10 is a good solution it will make life easier.

I notice you are running SLES10. I'm running Open SuSE 10.2. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't migrate to SLES10 so I can continue to run ZCS FOSS?
    Nope.

All the best,
    Mark

Default Thanks Mark.

I think I'll give SLES10 a try. It appears like the migration will be as straight forward as when I moved Zimbra to a new server.

Thanks again for your response.

I think I'll give SLES10 a try. It appears like the migration will be as straight forward as when I moved Zimbra to a new server.

Thanks again for your response.
    You know that you can get an evaluation license, enabling you to download SLES10-SP2 media at no cost?

If you use the software past the evaluation period you are required to purchase at least maintenance.

But you can certainly, legitimately, test SLES/Zimbra absolutely without having to buy a SLES license.

Hope that helps,
    Mark