Thread: OpenNAS and iSCSI

Default OpenNAS and iSCSI

I am considering setting up a NAS at home and looking to use iSCSI storage for ZCS, VoIP and web services. Now my question is do I really need to go Gbe for the connectivity or would 100BT be sufficient ? A decent Cisco Gbe switch would cost around $800 (and yes I would prefer Cisco as that is what my router, firewall and AP are).

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do you need to go GBe? No, but I'd suggest you'd be wise to do it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

yeah given how io intensive zimbra can be 100mbps might cause problems

Default I use Netgear...

for my Gbe. For slightly over $300 I just purchased a 24 port "smart' switch. It supports jumbo frames (which I don't use in the normal course of operations), VLAN's, 4 ports that can be converted to fiber with the upgrade kit, and alot more features I will never use. But then I use Netgear for all my gateways and the 100+ VPN tunnels I have to my branch locations. I have been very pleased with the products. It is the fourth Netgear switch I've bought recently and they all work flawlessly.

There are respectable Gbe switches without bells and whistles that can be had for much, much less.

I personally think you would regret not using Gbe for a NAS appliance. Even if it meant using a inexpensive switch. IMHO.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the post, and all others, yup see what you mean. Will look at a GBe switch instead (am sure I can get it past the wife).