Thread: Impact of MS/Yahoo deal

Default Impact of MS/Yahoo deal

Here's a non-technical question for you.

I looked a Zimbra about a year ago.. the Comcast thing got my attention. But I was leary of committing with the shadow of a Microsoft takeover in the picture. If they owned Zimbra one would expect them to try to kill or at least starve it, since it competes with one of their flagship products.

But now we have an MS/Yahoo deal that doesn't seem to involve changes of control or ownership of IP. This reassures me to some degree.

Is my new comfort level misplaced ?

Thanks.

Hi Dream & Welcome to the Zimbra Forums,

We have a great deal of honesty in our forums when communicating about stuff like this. Many people were worried about Yahoo! buying us out. Many people worried about Microsoft's offer to buy Yahoo. None of those worries are misplaced or unfounded. As our customers, you should be worried about any investment you make: including investments in us.

The Yahoo & Microsoft deal only effects search. Yahoo and MS remain independent with a contractual partnership for Yahoo to use Bing.

The only foreseeable impact inside Zimbra would be that little search bar at the top of the skins (which you can disable). Right now it goes to Yahoo! Search. It may redirect you sometime in the future to Bing. We know some users may not like this, which is why we give you a hassle-free way to disable it.

As far as Zimbra's security, we continue to make money in these hard economic times. People continue to sign, and we keep workin. Nothing can make a product more secure than a good revenue stream.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

John
    Last edited by jholder; 07-29-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: I mistakenly said MS offered to buy Zimbra. That's incorrect. I meant to say MS offered to buy Yahoo. Sorry for the confusion

Thanks.

Refreshing to get an official, definitive response!

It helps when Yahoo finally does something definitive. lol!