Thread: Palm Pre

Default Palm Pre

My iPhone contract is now up and I am seeking a new smart phone. The Pre looks pretty good and after having multiple Palms before I do like their kit. I appreciate it is not working with properly with ZCS yet but that should be resolved in 6.0.6 Bug 43989 – Official Support for Palm Pre Phone.

Down to the questions then ... Who has one ? How do you like it ? and will it sync with Linux like the organisers used to ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Down to the questions then ... Who has one ? How do you like it ? and will it sync with Linux like the organisers used to ?
    I work with several people that have them. 2 of them just LOVE it, 1 of them disappointed.

I've configured 2, I like the interface personally, but I'm waiting for the HTC 4G from Sprint. I'm not entirely convinced of Palm's well being at this time.

As for syncing, theres no longer (At this time) a client application for syncing, you have to sync to Palm's "Cloud", and I'm not sure you can do that with Linux, but haven't investigated. I have no want of putting any more of my personal data out there.

That's the second reason I'm not happy with the Pre.

The HTC 4G is going to be released this Summer and you'll find tons of info on Google.

Doug

The 4G looks a very nice phone indeed!

I have the Palm Pre. It uses ActiveSync so it worked flawless for me to sync to zimbra. I have not tried syncing to my linux desktop tho. My wife does not like the touch screen on my phone and I do think that it needs more refinement. Overall a good phone.

I have seen some youtube videos of the new HTC 4G phone that my Sprint rep sent me. I definately think that it will take phone computing to a whole new level.
    Derek

I was a stand-in-line customer. I had it for 27 days, and I took it back.

There were a number of firmwareish bugs that desperately needed to be sorted, and may well have been by now, but for me, it had two other problems I couldn't live with:

The touchscreen active area goes right to the edge of the phone... so when I wake up and want to check my morning news sources, there's *no convenient way to hold it* above my head. In general, it expects you to hold it in one hand, and touch and type with the other, and it's fairly unforgiving of any other protocol -- as opposed to my BB Curve, which is pretty easy to single-hand.

It's on Sprint... and I had no reasonable amount of signal from them at any of my office desks... the first time I tried to make a call -- it was roamed to Alltel.

I thought the Pre was the *shiznit*... before I actually had one. Then I changed my mind.

I'd love the Android Backflip phone, cause it's got an epic keyboard. But a) it's AT&T, and b) they've crippled the OS.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

I owned a Pre for some time on Sprint. I have been a pretty dyed-in-the-wool iPhone guy since the 2G. I really, REALLY wanted to love the Pre, but my main gripes were hardware, though the lack of CalDAV support didn't help either.

My main hardware complaints were:

- Slider gets loose after a while, twists like an oreo cookie.
    - Plastic screen makes me very nervous. Is a major smudge magnet!
    - Battery life is rubbish, and mine on Sprint got very hot while looking for signal.
    - The USB flap is either an industrial design nightmare, or a really good selling point for the touchstone.
    - Ringer switch was rubbish and often stuck.

Hardware issues aside, Palm's WebOS software is brilliant. It does multitasking way better than Android, and looks and feels quite nice. The notifications are great, unified inbox is great, merged (but not combined) contacts are great, etc. In many ways it makes iPhone's OS look a bit...stale.

App selection is VERY weak. The Pre community is a small but VERY active group. The ability to tweak and patch the phone is pretty wicked though if you're into that sort of thing. (I rooted mine and configured it so I could sync via WIFI using Amarok, etc.) This was a big plus for me.

As a fellow iPhone user, I could see being happy with the Pre if I got a Verizon one with free mobile hot spot, and kept my iPhone to use via wireless, but then I'd be carrying two devices to do what one does quite well for me now.

If Palm (or Preware, etc) came up with CalDAV support for the Pre's calendar app, I might consider getting one because the mobile hotspot feature is pretty awesome. (and did I mention free?)

Overall I'd say:

- Hardware: 2/5 (neat concept, poor execution.)
    - Apps: 2.75/5 (hard to find big name stuff on the Pre, but unofficial stuff is pretty neat.)
    - User Experience 3.5/5 (great OS, poor app selection, questionable hardware)
    - Community: 5/5 (very loyal and helpful community)

Buy it if you want a phone that's unique and fun to hack. Don't buy it if you want something that will give you an uncompromising iPhone-like level of utility and range of quality apps.

-n8

I see that iPhone OS4 is on its way later this year; and one of the main features is unified email accounts. Yet some of the features are only 3GS. Really stuck what to do so I guess will just stay on the 3G for the time being and see how things pan out on the technology front.

Thumbs up

Hi all

I have a Palm Pre and be very happy.

I use Zimbra Community Edition and there, ActiveSync is not available.

As a Palm Developer i made a little App that allows you to automatically login into Zimbra Webmail Client.

You can more information here: Win-Soft - Web Solution, Business Web-Lsungen nach Mass
    I also made a HowTo on that above Website...

If someone have problems, please eMail me directly.

I also search a way to Sync my Palm Pre directly with Zimbra.. will read the API definition for Zimbra, and try to figure out how to make a Sync Client

have a nice day
    thomi
    Last edited by thomi; 05-21-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: udpate link description

^^ Do you have the ability to create a patch to add CalDAV support to the native calendar app? I would totally rock a Pixi if I could sync it with my Zimbra calendar

-n8

i try... but where do i find more information about ZCE's CalDav definition and how to develop...

thanks for information
    thomi