Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam from select2gether

Hybrid View

Exclamation Spam from select2gether

I use individual email addresses for all sites I register on. Like Zimbra forum.
    Today (2011-06-04) I got spam on this unique address from do-not-reply@select2gether.com. A person (nina.crowth) requesting to add me as contact on Select2gether.

Because I use individual email addresses, I suspect my email address here on Zimbra forum has been compromised.
    Anyone else got spam from select2gether?

It's interesting, I have been getting these Select2gether invites through email as well. I've never heard of them and started searching. I think this is another version of the Buy Rolex watches crapmail.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkiz View Post
    Because I use individual email addresses, I suspect my email address here on Zimbra forum has been compromised.
    Then you're mistaken. It depends how clever the 'spammer' is, you can actually get spam in an email address that's never been published anywhere on the internet or anywhere else.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Then you're mistaken. It depends how clever the 'spammer' is, you can actually get spam in an email address that's never been published anywhere on the internet or anywhere else.
    Your statement does not sound that true. It's kinda hard to get spam into a email address like bcd479b8fd76964a8c4e160ff450bde9d4266c81@mydomain. com if it has not been published anywhere.
    Anyway, this does not apply in my case.
    Am not here to argue or anything. Just wanted to share and see if someone else have got these spam emails

Your statement does not sound that true.
    That might be your opinion but it's a fact, your account at these forums has not been compromised. I do, of course, make that statement on the basis that you also have a reasonably secure password that's not too easy to crack.

It's kinda hard to get spam into a email address like bcd479b8fd76964a8c4e160ff450bde9d4266c81@mydomain. com if it has not been published anywhere.
    Actually, it's not that hard. I think you need to do some research on how spammers operate and how they get 'unpublished email addresses' - it's not rocket science. I see details of attempts to send mail to odd addresses like that in my daily report all the time. You initially commented that the problem was with your 'compromised' forum account but that's not your forum account email so what is it you're actually questioning now?

Anyway, this does not apply in my case.
    Why not, do you know something we don't? I've yet to see you produce any evidence that your 'spam' has been caused by a compromised forum account.

Am not here to argue or anything.
    Nobody is arguing, these are public forums and they're being used as such - for a discussion about your question, I just don't happen to agree with your statement.

Just wanted to share and see if someone else have got these spam emails
    That's fine, others may have email from that source but if any of the forum accounts had been compromised the we'd have serious problems and I think others may have posted about it by now.
    Regards

Bill

Default Bugzilla

I received the same message as the OP. It looks like someone is scraping email addresses off of bugzilla.zimbra.com rather than the forums. I use different email addresses for both interfaces and have only received it to the bugzilla account's email address.

Nice one pointer.
    Yeah, had forgot about bugzilla.zimbra.com, but yeah.. I have the same address on this forum and bugzilla.
    Nice finding.

Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    I received the same message as the OP. It looks like someone is scraping email addresses off of bugzilla.zimbra.com rather than the forums. I use different email addresses for both interfaces and have only received it to the bugzilla account's email address.
    That's not likely either, see my previous replies (about never published email addresses) above.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's not likely either, see my previous replies (about never published email addresses) above.
    See my PM. Do you think someone would randomly select that email address to send a spam message to?

I don't think this is coincidence.

See my PM. Do you think someone would randomly select that email address to send a spam message to?
    Spammers send email to all sorts of addresses, they may be valid they may be absolute nonsense names. If you do some research on the internet you'll find details of how spammers generate their target addresses.

I don't think this is coincidence.
    That is your prerogative. If the accounts on the forums or bugzilla had been 'hacked' don't you think we'd all be getting spam?
    Regards

Bill