Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telligent acquires Zimbra

Hybrid View

Default Telligent acquires Zimbra

We are a forums members, what do you think about it?

Chating about myself don't know nothing about Telligent.

But.., about Zimbra, seems good.

The new company will be name "Zimbra".

ccelis

Basically I agree with you, calling the new company Zimbra is a good sign, and they claim to focus on it...on the other hand the "heavy" VMware brand disappears, it was significant when introducing Zimbra to other people...
    I found this interesting comment on LinkedIn: VMware Selling Zimbra to Telligent - Good News In Principle, But... : Reliable Networks .

This is nothing to celebrate. I can see a collab suite being a great data source and thus a valuable asset for telligent but I can not see how zimbra users will benefit from this. Hey, you can't even install that stuff on your server, telligent is windows only. The so called integration will amount to an AD-linked SSO, and maybe a new application tab with an iframe to your telligent dashboard. And that will pretty much consume all dev resources much the same way as octopus/horizon did at those other punters.

Hi guys. My name is Jenn. I'm the community manager for Telligent. I'm cruising around the Zimbra community to see how it's going out here. I saw your convo and thought I'd pop in. Thanks for some of the positive thoughts and concerns. I know I am coming at this from a different point of view, but you guys should know that the folks at Telligent are hard working people that have always put the customer first. That is now true for all Zimbra customers, as well. I don't doubt there will be some bumps here and there in the beginning - I'd expect that with any kind of transition. If you have specific needs or concerns, we are listening and acting.

And it is okay if you hadn't heard of us before. I'd heard of VMWare before, but never heard the word Zimbra. So, I am sure it all depends on the social circles we all turn in, and our circles just got a little bigger.

Hello!
    I'm really glad to see that Telligent is already getting in the community so soon after the merge (welcome Jenn!).

In his introduction post - something I really liked BTW - mr. Howard clearly dispelled the most pressing doubts most of us OSE users had: Zimbra will remain usable as a collaboration platform just like it has been since its and that both he and his team will be active in the community.
    Honest, right now it looks that the community will be a focus of this "new Zimbra" (meaning company, not product), something it's been missing since quite a lot.

To the Telligent team: welcome, and godspeed on this new adventure!

My2c
    See ya,
    Mike

Mike, I dig your two cents. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryboi View Post
    ... The so called integration will amount to an AD-linked SSO, and maybe a new application tab with an iframe to your telligent dashboard...
    Erm, the new version of Telligent now dubbed Zimbra Community is out and I can't seem to find any info on integration with ZCS. Am I missing something or was I too optimistic in the above quoted post?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryboi View Post
    Erm, the new version of Telligent now dubbed Zimbra Community is out and I can't seem to find any info on integration with ZCS. Am I missing something or was I too optimistic in the above quoted post?
    No.. i've have to wait a little.

ccelis

I'm testing Zimbra FOS now for use in my organization. We're pleased with it so far, which is why I was a little leery of Zimbra being acquired by a new company right before I commit and deploy it fully.
    But I take this, and you, as a good sign that the "new Zimbra" will be more customer focused. That can be easier for a smaller company to do. So I'm remaining positive on this.
    My only concern: I hope Zimbra remains appropriate for business. I wouldn't want to make it too easy for employees to leak organizational information over social media! (That may be totally unfounded.)
    Edit: my only other concern - I hope a FOS edition remains available, and compatible with Linux!

I hope a FOS edition remains available, and compatible with Linux!
    It will be BPB.