Install Zimbra Evolution Connector on Ubuntu 8.04
After culling information from a variety of sources, I pulled together this quick and concise guide on how to install the Zimbra Evolution connector plugin. This guide works specifically for Ubuntu 8.04.1 and version 0.1.1 of the connector. I tested it using a fresh Ubuntu Hardy installation.
Get everything ready:
- Download the Zimbra connector's source 0.1.1 tarball from here:
- Extract the tarball to a folder on your computer I'll extract it to the desktop for this example.
- Open a terminal window and change directory to the folder
Install the needed packages with the following commands:
- sudo apt-get install automake evolution-dev libglib2.0-dev intltool libtool evolution-data-server-dev libcurl3 libcurl3-dev
- sudo apt-get install libedataserverui1.2-dev libedata-book1.2-dev libedata-cal1.2-dev
Note: If the second command errors out and tells you that it can't find the files, then you may have to enable some repositories in Synaptic,
Compile the source
- sudo make install
Note: You should not receive any errors when running these commands. If you do, then something needs to be fixed before proceeding.
Put everything in the right place
The plugin files are installed in the wrong directory, so run these commands to fix everything:
- sudo mv /usr/local/usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2/camel-providers/* /usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2/camel-providers
- sudo mv /usr/local/usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2/extensions/* /usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2/extensions
- sudo mv /usr/local/usr/lib/evolution/2.22/plugins/* /usr/lib/evolution/2.22/plugins/
Access the connector in Evolution
- Start Evolution
- You should now be able to see the plugin in the list on the Edit – Plugins menu. It should be enabled by default.
- When you setup a new email account, instead of choosing POP or IMAP on the “Receiving Email” dialog, select Zimbra Collaboration Suite.
That should do it.
(Good luck. I have had mixed success getting some of the connector's functions to work.)
Zimbra Calendar in Evolution
I've had some limited success with the Zimbra Evolution connector and the Zimbra calendar.
Here's what I did:
Go to Calendar - Add New Calendar
Calendar Type: On the Web
Name: John Doe
Use SSL: Unchecked
The email account ("firstname.lastname@example.org" in the example above) must be a valid user on the Zimbra server.
I have found that the Evolution interface for calendars on the web is somewhat fragile. First, as good measure, I suggest restarting Evolution whenever you make changes to the calendar parameters. Only after a restart did it take my changes. Also, you may want to double check the parameters after you enter them. Evolution will sometimes mess them up.
I can see the calendar, but I cannot update it from Evolution. It was my understanding that the connector would allow a two way update, but I have not had much success with that.