Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Mozilla Prism - Zimbra Desktop Alternative?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Mozilla Prism - Zimbra Desktop Alternative?

    Mozilla just released a very nice tool to help bring web based applications to the desktop.

    Mozilla Labs Blog » Blog Archive » Prism

    Prism is an application that lets users split web applications out of their browser and run them directly on their desktop.
    Naturally, the first application I tested was Zimbra. I'm toying with the idea of migrating some of my end users who refuse to use the zimbra web app, simply because it's a webmail instance. There's a stigma that's associated with webmail and the assumption that it's not as powerful as Outlook.

    I tested Zimbra Desktop, but in my evaluation, it's not ready for my users yet. Prism, however was very fast and uncluttered. It allowed me to make use of Alt-Tab and it had the appearance of a stand alone application.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaucaire, France
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    I tested Zimbra Desktop, but in my evaluation, it's not ready for my users yet. Prism, however was very fast and uncluttered. It allowed me to make use of Alt-Tab and it had the appearance of a stand alone application.
    Running Zimbra under Prism won't be very different from running Zimbra inside a single tab window of Firefox (ie: a webmail inside a browser).

    zDesktop is a full local application, with sync, offline mode, etc...

    I don't think they can compare 8)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Prism

    Just tried Prism myself and I like it. Think Firefox with no navigation toolbar, no bookmarks toolbar, no status bar. That's it.

    Zimbra Desktop is a totally different product - you could use Prism to access Zimbra Desktop for a more "desktop like" experience.

    The only big advantage I can see is it does run as it's own process so it's a way of getting the Zimbra web client and your other web pages (streaming video?) separated and running on different processor cores (Please Mozilla can we have Multi-threaded Firefox?).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brained View Post
    Just tried Prism myself and I like it. Think Firefox with no navigation toolbar, no bookmarks toolbar, no status bar. That's it.

    Zimbra Desktop is a totally different product - you could use Prism to access Zimbra Desktop for a more "desktop like" experience.

    The only big advantage I can see is it does run as it's own process so it's a way of getting the Zimbra web client and your other web pages (streaming video?) separated and running on different processor cores (Please Mozilla can we have Multi-threaded Firefox?).
    Multithreaded for different tabs - yes (which I believe it already does). For the same page, no, because the JavaScript guys don't like threading.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Zimbra Desktop + Prism makes a nice desktop app. It removes the clutter of all the navigation bars and buttons that aren't needed, and separates the processes so a crashing Firefox won't bring down your email client.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    So, I have been running prism sense it came out for the mac. I do like it, it feels faster. There are a few rendering oddities, but It is because it is based on a newer rendering engine, correct?

    To bring it back around, zdesktop in prism makes it very close to it's own stand-alone application. It might be interesting to see if it there can be a limited bundling of the two programs in one fashion or another.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyheinen View Post
    It might be interesting to see if it there can be a limited bundling of the two programs in one fashion or another.
    Yes, it would be very neat if the next version of Zimbra Desktop came with an installation of Prism to launch it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    416
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Prism is much nice than the present version of zimbra desktop

    its smooth..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    It would be nice if Zimbra recognises Prism as a supported browser.

    When you chose "Advanced" on the login screen, it displays a warning message that this browser is not supported... I'm using Prism since december and I hadn't any problem since then with the advanced Zimbra client...

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Spam Being Sent Thru Server - Help Needed!
    By msf004 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
  2. zimbra-core missing
    By kinaole in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
  4. Seeming variety of problems on suse-9.1
    By Crexis in forum Installation
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM
  5. FC3 Install and no zimbra ?
    By aws in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •