Thread: How do I use Zimbra Desktop with XP?

Smile How do I use Zimbra Desktop with XP?

Hi

Please be gentle....I am not too clued up about all the IT jargon.

I want to know if I can use Zimbra Opensource Desktop for Windows on my PC like I do Outlook? I run XP Pro. If I can, how do I do it? I have my email account with Hotmail, and also three other places and currently use Outlook to retrieve my hotmail mail.

I installed Zimbra but I cannot get it to retrieve my emails, it gives me a 404 error (whatever that is - I do not undrstand the tech talk which I Googled - Yes I am GREEN, VERY green.... ) :-)

Also, what is Toaster?

Once installed, how do I open Zimbra without going to the online site. Does it not work like Outlook where one can work offline?

I realy would apreciate help to instal this (what looks like a great email account handler) software.

Maybe this is not a software package for greenies like me...too advanced?

Thank you for your help.

Cioa..........louis
    Last edited by Louis; 11-30-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I want to know if I can use Zimbra Opensource Desktop for Windows on my PC like I do Outlook? I run XP Pro. If I can, how do I do it? I have my email account with Hotmail, and also three other places and currently use Outlook to retrieve my hotmail mail.

I installed Zimbra but I cannot get it to retrieve my emails, it gives me a 404 error (whatever that is - I do not undrstand the tech talk which I Googled - Yes I am GREEN, VERY green.... ) :-)
    Zimbra Desktop Alpha essentially uses the same interface as the web-client so that you can take all your emails with you offline without interruption or even having to switch interfaces. See this: /blog/archives/2007/07/zimbra_desktop_05.html

It does however currently require that you communicate with a zimbra server. Though someday it may become like your 'normal' thick-client where it can check mail on it's own
    You can setup the zimbra server to check your external pop or imap account. If you want to see what it's like check out the 5RC2 hosted demo!

Also, what is Toaster?
    The toaster is a new mail notification utility.
    -it can also be used to register mailto: links so that you use zimbra instead of the default like outlook express etc
    -you can also do quick tasks like flagging a message or deleting it outright

There is also a toolbar in the works and there's also an existing firefox extension called ZimbraCheck.

Once installed, how do I open Zimbra without going to the online site. Does it not work like Outlook where one can work offline?
    You access it by going to localhost:7633 in a web-browser which is what your probably seeing-your actually communicating with your own computer.
    I realy would apreciate help to instal this (what looks like a great email account handler) software.

Maybe this is not a software package for greenies like me...too advanced?
    It is great! If installing/running/maintaining your own server is beyond your capabilities, you might checkout some of the hosting partners which provide both business and individual accounts.

----

From a large corporation aspect-it's far easier to have your helpdesk workers only deal with one interface when helping end-users. You'd be amazed at the difference; for instance outlook is often the bane of IT depts. You add one client to support...then you add them all...far easier to take a hard line and go: "This is what we support - if you use something else you're on your own."
    A setting need to be changed? Fix it server side-then upon next sync the user gets the change. The point is to to have the ability to disconnect from the server, keep working, and not even notice.

The goal would be something like this - My don't have a wireless card/an internet sharing phone, train/plane trip example:
    -The user grabs their laptop out of the cradle, and catches the morning train to whatever city.
    -Browse to localhost:7633/click icon
    -Read the 20 new emails from the following afternoon/night
    -Delete 6
    -Tag, then move 3 to one folder
    -Move 8 emails to another folder
    -Flag 2
    -Accept a meeting invite
    -Run a search
    -Add a new tag for some of the messages they need to consult for some replies
    -Save all the search results for later
    -Share a briefcase (documents for now) of some files with your team
    -Compose 5 replies-they go into the outbox folder
    -Add two events to my calendar-select some invites.
    -Made a mail filter for certain new emails to go to a particular folder
    -Give read only access on that folder to some colleagues (don't want to miss sales opportunities while your gone)
    -Made a new address book or contact group for some event (added 9 contacts)
    -Forgot to tell some people they were leaving for a bit; so set an away message letting people know they're going to be gone for a week
    -Read a book, nap a bit, watch a movie, etc
    -Arrive in whatever city, where waiting at the airport for a flight they hop on some free WI-FI
    -Doing other stuff on the web, all folders & actions are silently/transparently synced.
    -Get 7 more emails for their reading leisure on the plane. (Though they're on vacation now so they might/might not read them.)

Now, all that's NOT new; could have (almost) done the same in outlook/thunderbird with offline folders mode (not to be confused with local folders). BUT the user is on the same exact interface as the web client-no extra settings and configuration for a user to muck up.
    No inbound/outbound mailserver addresses. The user already knows the url they access the webclient from, and they know their username/pass; it's that simple.

jjzhuang might chip in with some thoughts (the resident zimbra desktop person)
    Anyway, thanks for your input-and sorry for the long reply
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-05-2007 at 03:39 PM.