Thread: Address Book and LDAP

Default Address Book and LDAP

I just downloaded the lastest Zimbra desktop client and do not see where I can have my address book connect to an LDAP server. Does this feature not exist yet?

Currently we only support address book sync if you have a Zimbra server account. We don't directly sync with an arbitrary LDAP directory. Thanks!

The original poster asked a question I am also wondering about, but the answer given does not help me, and I suspect that the respondent misunderstood (but I'm open to the idea that I misunderstood, if so, please explain).

To re-phrasethe question; What I want (and what I think was originally asked):

In the Desktop client (as opposed to the Web interface), there does not appear to be any connection to the "Company Contacts" (LDAP in our case) drop-down in Search. I do not want to "Sync" that directory (it's HUGE!), only to QUERY it.

When configuring other e-mail clients, one can add another "thing" that looks like an addressbook, but is actually an interface to an LDAP query service. Is there (or will there be) a way to do this in the Zimbra Desktop Client? I realize that it would not be available when off-line.

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by uogpjf View Post
    In the Desktop client (as opposed to the Web interface), there does not appear to be any connection to the "Company Contacts" (LDAP in our case) drop-down in Search. I do not want to "Sync" that directory (it's HUGE!), only to QUERY it.
    That's Bug 25263 - Need GAL support in offline
    I don't think we've yet decided between sync vs lookups. ZCO syncs & this is an offline-capable client mindset after all, but we can always make it optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by uogpjf View Post
    When configuring other e-mail clients, one can add another "thing" that looks like an addressbook, but is actually an interface to an LDAP query service. Is there (or will there be) a way to do this in the Zimbra Desktop Client? I realize that it would not be available when off-line.
    This would probably have to be completed server-side/web-ui before its ported to desktop. I can't seem to find an RFE on this right now - could you file another in bugzilla just to make sure the idea isn't forgotten?

Default Thank you.

Filed as Enhancement request Bug 27015. I hope I stated it clearly.