Thread: Zimbra Desktop Replacement Icon

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Zimbra Desktop Replacement Icon

Hello,

I just tried Zimbra Desktop for a week now, and i love it. I am a mac users, and the default icon is somewhat found to be an alien in my dock. Without second thought, I have made the replacement icon.

I thought i should share my replacement icon for Zimbra Desktop. The icons are available for Mac, Windows and Linux (PNG format).

Feel free to download.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Nice!

I wonder what the rules are about playing with the Zimbra logo. A related question, if I do a website about stuff I'm doing with Zimbra, can I use the Zimbra logo somewhere on the website?

Default zimbra logos

Greetings--

Glad to see you are enjoying Desktop, sorry the icons are not your cup of tea.

With respect to general Zimbra logo usage, like any trade or service mark, we generally expect it not to be altered or changed. There are usage guidelines on the site here:

http://www.zimbra.com/partners/trade...nding_faq.html

Zimbra is truly an excellent product; unfortunately, the license really is much less 'open' than it purports to be.

Philosophically speaking, why should altering an icon's appearance to better match the style of the desktop OS matter? There is obviously no attempt to hide the fact that the product is indeed Zimbra.

I used to think that the more vocal proponents of the GPL were too hard on other 'open' licenses, but I have come to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by plan9 View Post
    Zimbra is truly an excellent product; unfortunately, the license really is much less 'open' than it purports to be.

Philosophically speaking, why should altering an icon's appearance to better match the style of the desktop OS matter? There is obviously no attempt to hide the fact that the product is indeed Zimbra.

I used to think that the more vocal proponents of the GPL were too hard on other 'open' licenses, but I have come to change my mind.
    If I may, I think you're reaching a little bit in this case for something that's not there. But certainly, there are plenty of threads in the Forum to debate attribution-style open source licenses vs gpl, etc...

It was asked if there are any general rules around Zimbra's logo (and therefore BRAND) and how it can be altered/used including on websites.

Specific to icons- Where do you draw the line on good/bad taste? Having taste police isn't scalable and the downside for ANY company is people will do something gross given enough time with no protections.

Specific to websites, etc- there are examples of people out there imitating the look and feel of Zimbra, using urls like www.zimbra.xx and basically misrepresenting themselves to the public. That's not in anyone's best interest if it reflects badly on all of us; so in the end we have to provide the rules to people uniformly, not selectively.

All that being said, the guidelines basically say you should contact us if you want to use the logo, and if it's for business purposes you need to be a partner.

In the end, will one of us care if someone has swapped out their personal desktop icon? Not really. Are we obligated to create a level playing field? Absolutely. Will we have a Community contest to redesign an icon? Maybe

I realize that Zimbra doesn't want to have debates about ZPL/YPL vs. GPL or BSD or whatever else is out there. I also realize that Zimbra/Yahoo is a for-profit company and wishes to protect its intellectual property and brand identity.

Ultimately, the license is the license and I would encourage no one to do anything that is out of compliance (whether I agree with everyone provision or not).