Thread: Feature Requests

Hybrid View

Default Feature Requests

I've been playing with the Desktop, and Lovin' it!

Three immediate reactions, questions, comments:

1. It would be really nice for this to be compatible with a number of mail archiving applications - like MailSteward (I have years of mail in there!) Is the desktop put together in such a way that we will be able to archive locally with ease?

2. I'd like to be able to change the order of the email accounts. For example, when I fire up the desktop, gmail is the account I see first. I want to see my Zimbra account first!

3. How about including an automatic updater in this beta? Then we can always easily use the latest build!

I'm already hooked. Wonderful product.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding backup, we plan to provide a backup mechanism in the future but not in version 1.0.

Regarding 2 and 3, both features will be included in 1.0.

Default Issues with Tags and Tasks

I really liked the idea of the software.
    It is light weight and very practicle. Working offline makes things so much faster and easier.

These are things I would like to do. I am not sure whether these could be considered new features, as it looks more like bugs.

1. Creating new Tags in Zimbra Desktop should result in new tags being created in the server side.

2. Tagging an e-mail from the Zimbra Desktop should result in the e-mail being tagged in the server side.

Shared Calendar should show up in the desktop without the user's interaction.
    Shared Calendars should be able to be set on the server, and automatically picked up by the Desktops on the workstations.
    This to me is very important.

Ability to create tasks, and have any editing result in the server side.

It is a deal breaker not to have the above features. They just need to be working for this software to have value.

My thought on the subject anyways.

Possible functionality.

Could you make it so that the desktop is an extension of Firefox?
    It would be the best of both worlds.

I open the desktop on a split window of Firefox. I click on the link of in the e-mail and the tab on the other panel goes to the page.
    This is great feature for developers.
    Being able to have these things happen is really nice and increases productivity.

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by erion.alite View Post
    1. Creating new Tags in Zimbra Desktop should result in new tags being created in the server side.
    2. Tagging an e-mail from the Zimbra Desktop should result in the e-mail being tagged in the server side.
    Are you using it against a Zimbra server? (little different when it's an IMAP/POP account)
    3. Shared Calendar should show up in the desktop without the user's interaction.
    Shared Calendars should be able to be set on the server, and automatically picked up by the Desktops on the workstations.
    This to me is very important.
    Shared folders are planned - you can vote for this RFE if you'd like to show some more support: Bug 19182 - Support sync'ing shared folders (mail, contacts, calendar...) in zimbra desktop
    4. Ability to create tasks, and have any editing result in the server side.
    Again planned, but you can certainly vote for: Bug 19225 - Zimbra Desktop support for Documents, Briefcase and Tasks
    Could you make it so that the desktop is an extension of Firefox? It would be the best of both worlds.
    Zimbra Desktop uses a standalone offline-browser application called prism (xulrunner/webrunner) Planned to be bundled in Firefox 3 - you can read more about it here: Mozilla Labs » Blog Archive » Prism
    You can also easily run it in any browser by pointing to http:// localhost:7633/desktop/login.jsp or just localhost:7633 really - make yourself a bookmark.
    I open the desktop on a split window of Firefox. I click on the link of in the e-mail and the tab on the other panel goes to the page.
    This is great feature for developers. Being able to have these things happen is really nice and increases productivity.
    Are you saying that it doesn't open your default browser by default & instead creates a new prism window? I've found better luck with having firefox open first, and links clicked in Zimbra Desktop seem to open tabs better. There may be some bugs in bugzilla about how that's handled (I seem to remember that prism has it's own issue with external links).
    Last edited by mmorse; 03-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.

"Are you using it against a Zimbra server? (little different when it's an IMAP/POP account)"

Yeah, we are running Zimbra Web Mail in our servers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Welcome to the forums,

Are you using it against a Zimbra server? (little different when it's an IMAP/POP account)

Shared folders are planned - you can vote for this RFE if you'd like to show some more support: Bug 19182 - Support sync'ing shared folders (mail, contacts, calendar...) in zimbra desktop

Again planned, but you can certainly vote for: Bug 19225 - Zimbra Desktop support for Documents, Briefcase and Tasks

Zimbra Desktop uses a standalone offline-browser application called prism (xulrunner/webrunner) Planned to be bundled in Firefox 3 - you can read more about it here: Mozilla Labs » Blog Archive » Prism
    You can also easily run it in any browser by pointing to http:// localhost:7633/desktop/login.jsp or just localhost:7633 really - make yourself a bookmark.

Are you saying that it doesn't open your default browser by default & instead creates a new prism window? I've found better luck with having firefox open first, and links clicked in Zimbra Desktop seem to open tabs better. There may be some bugs in bugzilla about how that's handled (I seem to remember that prism has it's own issue with external links).
    I was just describing how I would like to see the application to behave.
    There are plug-ins out there for Firefox, that manage calendars. They are GUI based, but can interact with servers in order to save the data etc.
    Zimbra Desktop would be very useful if it could be an extension of FireFox. It is a GUI application but that can be managed by FireFox.
    In my quote, I just was describing how I would like the Plug-in to behave.
    Basically allow the GUI Plugin to show up in a split window. I can do this already by splitting tabs, and using Zimbra Webmail. The thing is that Web Mail is kind of slow.

This is just a feature that would be nice to have but I would be just happy if the bugs are handled. Other people will probably develop the plug-in for Firefox. That is the good thing about Firefox.

Exclamation Process of zdesktop runs after the close.

I don't mean to be annoying but I noticed the following behavior.

Is there a reason why zdesktop process has to run on the machine even after the user closes the app ?

I noticed the process was running 129 MB of memory and I was not even running the gui ?

I would expect an icon to show in the desktop bar, like IM shows, if the process is to run even after I close the desktop.

Then If I really want to close the app, i would right click on the Icon and ask to exit. This should shut the process.

My thought on the matter anyways.