Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spell Check

solved !

thanks !

Default Still confused about spell check

I just downloaded the desktop version to replace OE for my personal email. I see some screen shots where there is a spell check button on the email screen but i dont have that. I WANT IT PLEASE. Do i read some of the posts correctly that it is a sep download and then i have to choose my language? ANyones help for this newbie is appreciated!

I have the latest zd and there is no spellchecking for me. Running on windows xp.

Prism was mentioned a couple of times but I've lost track of what it is?

A zimbra employee pointed to Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Download and Install FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki but that page is blank.

So can anyone tell me how to get spellchecking with zd?

Thanks

gobills03 Guest

Zimbra blows...the 'support' team is hostile and worthless...welcome to the waiting game for things to be fixed or even appear as advertised.

There is no spellcheck...or contact sync...or two-way calendar sync. But, hey, it has 1990 technology and the ability to send an e-mail!!

Prism is a heavily stripped down browser based on the Gecko engine (basically it's a very minimal Firefox ). It is often used to make applications out of web pages.

Prism should have a built in spell check that is underlining mis-spelled words with a red dotted line. Where exactly are you not seeing the spell checking? It should automatically enable itself for only certain fields, like the message compose area or calendar event descriptions.

gobills03... do try to remember that unless it says "Zimbra Employee" under the persons name then that person is volunteering their time to try to help you with your problems. There is spell check, it works perfectly fine for most people. Contact sync works everywhere that it is able to be done, this includes syncing with servers like Zimbra and Google that have standards based methods of accessing their contacts available. Same thing with two-way calendar sync. The software is not magic and can't do things that there is no way to do in the first place...

Right...someone here told me what prism was a year or so ago (maybe you) but I couldn't recall...it's an inherent part of zd, not an add on that I might be lacking, that's what I wanted to get to when I asked about it yesterday.

What's strange is that today zd is spellchecking for me. I type woiur and it gets the red dot underline. Yesterday it wasn't. Yesterday I tested specifically and then added to this thread, because I was writing a long email and I noticed that it was not flagging any of the spelling errors I made. I started a new email to test and it also wouldn't spell check garbage words. I tested just now before replying to you and the spell checking was good.

I don't know what to make of it but for sure it was not working at the time I posted, and it is working now.

The only place I really care about spell checking is when I'm composing email...I don't know if the spell checking comes and goes in other areas of zd.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    gobills03... do try to remember that unless it says "Zimbra Employee" under the persons name then that person is volunteering their time to try to help you with your problems.
    It doesn't matter what it says under a persons name everyone that posts on these forums are volunteers and do so during their own time.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I am seeing the same problems as whileworth. Sometimes spell checker works great, sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes it seems related to saving a draft of an email and reopening, but not always. I attached a screen shot of an example of the spell checker not working correctly.

Other people have had this problem too. Here's another posting that describes the same thing. I posted a question there some months ago, but that thread seems to be inactive so there was no response.
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post139696

Zimbra Desktop is great, but the spell checking problems are almost enough to make me stop using it. The only thing stopping me is that there doesn't seem to be something better (and free).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope some zimbra employee is still paying attention to this issue.

Even if you can't reproduce the missing spell checker issue which many of us experience, can you at least re-introduce the spell checker button?

Question ZD Spell Checker

Did this ever get resolved? We're not seeing a functioning spell checker in ZD. The primary user frequently has typos but she isn't seeing anything that shows spell check is being done. We don't see the option in set up either. How can we know if ZD is checking anything?