Thread: Multiple users on a Mac

Default Multiple users on a Mac

Hi. I'm a Windows/Linux sysadmin, and I'm using a Mac for a few weeks to get acquainted with the OS so that I can support some of our company's execs, who would like to use Macs. Anyway, I've set up a user account on this Macbook for myself, and for the executive who will eventually wind up with the machine. As I go, I am tweaking things to be the way that I would like them, and trying to make some of the same tweaks for the other user account. So...I've set up Zimbra desktop for myself, and would like to set it up for the other account as well. When I try to open Zimbra Desktop from the other user account, I get an error saying "a copy of zimbra desktop is already open" and that I cannot open another copy. So, I go to (my user directory)/zimbra/zdesktop and issue ./zdesktop stop. The daemon stops (ps -ef verifies this), and I try to open Zimbra desktop in the other user account again. Same error message. I restart and log into his account (not mine) first. Same error message. So, I tried to install zimbra desktop again, under his user account, and it chokes on trying to delete the datastore (which I assume was mine). Now, it doesn't show up in applications anymore, but my datastore is still fine. Is Zimbra Desktop not capable of being installed on the same Mac laptop for two users? Even if I have to run the install twice and have two copies of the program installed, I'm willing. I'm just trying to figure out how. If this isn't possible, I'll file an RFE in bugzilla. Thanks, everyone, from a soul lost in an unfamiliar OS...

Hi, in 1.0 we don't support multi-user on any platform, so it's not just a mac issue. Please do file an RFE for this. Thanks!

OK, Done. Here is the RFE: Bug 27936 - Allow Multiple Zimbra Desktop users on one machine. Anyone who is interested, please vote! Thanks!