Thread: [SOLVED] Is there a .pst like function available?

Post [SOLVED] Is there a .pst like function available?

We own the network edition and are about to go live in July. In this change, we are no longer using outlook (on purpose), so we will lose the .pst functionality for personal email storage files. Is there anything in the works, or already there (that I missed) in ZWC or the ZDesktop to create this type of functionality?

ZCD will create a copy of your mailbox on your local machine so that you can work offline, obviously ZWC will not as you could be on any machine at any time. What are you trying to achieve with the .pst functionality ? Personally I like to keep message stores on the server where they can be backed up more easily, instead of on a client workstation where who knows what could happen to the machine eg. corruption, stolen, coffee poured over it

Post Zimbra .PST Custom Storage File???

In our environment, we have Outlook .pst files created automatically via scripting (thanks to scriptlogic), so our admin users are trained to move messages into their personal folders (pst files), to minimize their 100MB inbox. People like me in IT, have about 6 .Pst files (each of which can store 2 GB max. My request, concern is how will the new Zimbra users, without Outlook, using ZWC or ZDesktop have the same functionallity? As we move to Zimbra and ditch Outlook for security reasons, is there anything now, or in beta that Zimbra can provide to have a .pst like experience?

I agree that server storage of all email is better in this situation, but I am not willing to give them 6 GB of email storage. I would like to give them 1GB of storage, then use a personal storage file type of system for them. I am looking into the long run for this concern.

I hope I have made this clear.

Unless I am missing something in Zimbra, they stilll do not have a .pst like way for users to archive email. To add, our users' .pst files are in their network folder (home directory), so we back them up). What I am asking Zimbra to do is to do the exact same feature of Outlook. Zimbra could create its own .pst extension and allow the ZWC or the Zdesktop to access the custom Zimbra storage file. If Zimbra had this, they would now have the final edge over Outlook.

As far as I can tell, Zimbra does not have this. This needs to happen to be as powerful as Outlook. Maybe I missed a feature, but I still have not seen one like this with Zimbra to date?

I am not a programmer, but I am sure the skilled engineers there can come up with something similar.

As an IT geek, I have numerous .psts, as I like to keep every email, whether from staff, or monitoring systems. As I move to Zimbra, the only option I have now, is to give me a mega GB inbox. This is not practical.

I hope a Zimbra employee is reading this and can reply???

Thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You really don't want to let users archive their own email. It's far better that you use the server to store mail. after all HD space is inexpensive. If you really want to script the archiving of email then you might want to look at the REST interface.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Post rest

I need to read up on this, thank you for your post. This archiving method is new to me.

I may be on the edge, but lets compare zimbra to outlook, which is probably the most used in production.... outlook has .pst functionality, so why wouldn't zimbra come up with something similar to crush the competition?

Just a thought, for those many thousands of outlook users that have to make the migrations.

I still feel Zimbra can create its own archive file type that can do what .psts can do, and can be accessed via web service, or desktop client to make this happen. Are the developers that enthralled with server storage only for user archive files? Not every client that they want to gain can have TB's of storage. Zimbra needs to have this option to catch the variety of their customers, of which are not always storage rich.

We are not storage rich. I will look into REST, as an option, but if I did not size my system right now, what will I need 3 years from now, when my inboxes are full?

I know I could add more storage, but maybe I want to keep it at a cap, like we do, so I like the .pst option to archive locally into each users network folder (which is not the zimbra server), so they could have as many .zpsts as they want.

Please add to this thread, as I think more is needed.

.pst files are not exactly the best method for backing up email. If you have them on a local machine, then you run the risk of losing data when your drive dies / user deletes something. Not to mention they're proprietary, though there's lots of tools available for them

If you're storing them on a network drive, then you have storage capacity already no? You can always add more storage to your Zimbra server, it supports more than one volume for your mailstore location.

Zimbra can also export mail folders using the REST interface. It will even zip them up for you.

http://mail.domain.com/zimbra/user/<username>/Inbox.zip

That will export them in a standards-compliant format, unlike Outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I need to read up on this, thank you for your post. This archiving method is new to me.

I may be on the edge, but lets compare zimbra to outlook, which is probably the most used in production.... outlook has .pst functionality, so why wouldn't zimbra come up with something similar to crush the competition?
    I don't understand why you want your users to move their email off a sturdy, monitored, backed up server and onto desktops which are less well made, usually un-monitored, and rarely backed up.

But let's step back from that. It's not ".pst functionality", it's "offlline mail storage", or "local mail files". It's not the Zimbra server or *Exchange* that would offer that, it's the Zimbra Desktop, Zimbra Web Client, Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, or whatever client you choose to deploy.

One big problem is that web browsers--for security reasons--don't like to allow simple read-write access to local storage, unless you've opened the file from there. This could have changed in the 5 or 6 years (or more, IDK) since I last looked at the issue.

If you intend only to deploy the web client, then there is even MORE reason not to want end users to store files on their workstations as you're just going to have to field calls from end users who don't really understand the difference.

Just a thought, for those many thousands of outlook users that have to make the migrations.
    The right thing to do is to migrate those PST files back up to the server.

We are not storage rich. I will look into REST, as an option, but if I did not size my system right now, what will I need 3 years from now, when my inboxes are full?

I know I could add more storage, but maybe I want to keep it at a cap, like we do, so I like the .pst option to archive locally into each users network folder (which is not the zimbra server), so they could have as many .zpsts as they want.
    PST files are a royal PITA. I have to use Outlook in a different life, and PST files written by 2003 cannot be read (easily) by the version of outlook I have at home.

I can understand the urge to put quotas on people, but my suggestion would be to look at the storage usage of your existing users over time and base your quotas on the 75th percentile of the users, then establish a formal policy for requesting exceptions.

There are a lot of reasons you want to keep email within your mail server--things like users (or cleaning staff) copying emails off to give to competitors, retention and destruction policies, backups etc.

I would suggest that you can establish quotas and policies that will cover the vast majority of your users and for those few remaining use a standalone client.