Thread: How to import a .pst file into a Mac OSX Zimbra Desktop Client

Default How to import a .pst file into a Mac OSX Zimbra Desktop Client

I am using only the free desktop client from Zimbra (love it). I have migrated from Windows to Mac OS X Leopard and want to move my Microsoft Outlook 2007 .pst file into Zimbra on my Mac. I do not nor have I ever used Outlook with Exchange, just for multiple email accounts. I have a boat load of contacts, calendar schedules, tasks, and to do stuff in Outlook. I currently run Parallels just for this and would love to just use Zimbra. I'm new at this, so detailed instructions would be a real help. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

First off, welcome to the forums!

For Zimbra Desktop to work, it has to pull information from a server, be that Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS), Gmail, Yahoo, or an IMAP server. So, to get your information into Zimbra Desktop, you have to have an account on a ZCS server for the desktop client to sync from (assuming you want Calendar, contacts, and Tasks along with your e-mail). At that point, importing a .pst into a Zimbra server account is fairly painless (using NE).

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Dusty
    Last edited by dustys; 07-25-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

Default I'using Zimba with my gmail accounts...

Yes, Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am "testing" Zimba with my gmail account but have a ton of other important business stuff in Outlook. Yes, I could copy and paste - would take days or longer to do this. I was just wondering if I could import the .pst file into Zimba desktop client on my Mac and use it with my gamil account and other business stuff.

Thnx

Just to clarify, there is both a server side and client side application for Zimbra to work appropriately with all PIM information. But, I think there 'may' be a work around...

You could copy your e-mail into Gmail, via IMAP. If you can get your contacts into a CSV and your calendar into an ICS file you could try importing them using the import functions found under the 'options' tab. Now, the CSV format has to match what the export function produces in terms of colum order for the CSV. I'm sure this is an unsupported approach and I'm not sure if Zimbra Desktop works with calendars and contacts without an actual Zimbra account on a server.

Dusty

Default K, Thnx

I'll give it a whirl.

Question import question, again

could I install Zimbra desktop client on my PC, import the pst file there and then import that into the Mac?

could I install Zimbra desktop client on my PC, import the pst file there and then import that into the Mac?

To my knowledge there is no direct path from a .pst to the Zimbra Desktop Client without leveraging the server side aspect of the software, since that is where the conversion happens and the data is stored.

Dusty