Thread: Linking Yahoo main in Zimbra Desktop

Default Linking Yahoo main in Zimbra Desktop

I would like to know how the Zimbra Desktop client connects with my Yahoo mail account before actually doing it.

Reason I ask is that I don't want it to make a POP connection and pull all the mail from my online account in Yahoo down to my desktop. Then, I won't be able access that email from within yahoo mail.

Thanks
    Arvind

Welcome to the forums,

Read this: Zimbra Desktop Beta 3s New Features Zimbra :: Blog
    It uses IMAP for all free & plus accounts - we actually prevent pop with Yahoo! plus accounts to avoid lockups.
    Enjoy the special IMAP auth token/mechanism as a perk to Zimbra Desktop!

Another quick note on what to expect to sync - just the mail right now.

This is a port of our server client, so all of the services of course sync with ZCS - try it out against the hosted demo (free/easy to test & you can have multiple accounts in Zimbra Desktop) and you may just become a convert

We do have Yahoo integration planned as I mention in the blog (Note that some apps dont sync to Yahoo! servers yet so the data is local.) Yahoo IMAP access through Zimbra Desktop to all free accounts was the first step that weve added since Beta 1s Plus IMAP access.

Several methods to do so will become available shortly (from both Zimbra & Yahoo! ends of the spectrum) since those are internal RFEs Ive created Bug 30249 – offline : RFE for Yahoo! services intergration for you to watch & vote on (though it obviously has strategic value so we do in-fact plan to implement it).

Zimbra is Open Source and were very pleased to see more Yahoo! members join our community. To understand how you can shape the future of what Zimbra is see: Open Source Product Management: How do features get into Zimbra? Zimbra :: Blog

In the meantime you can at least import most of your Yahoo contacts:
    http://address.mail.yahoo.com/?1&VPC=import_export (or similar URL) > choose Yahoo! CSV (or Microsoft Outlook)

Then open Zimbra Desktop > Preferences Tab > Address Book Tab > Import CSV.

As IM contacts arent imported easily without field re-arrange Ive filed Bug 30258 - Map Yahoo! fields to Zimbra fields on yahoo_ab.csv imports

Infact, you couldn't delete from server even if you we're setting up a 'Other Pop account' anyways as we have this intentionally disabled/grayed out till there's a simpler backup method to export MIME (the message content) & Metadata (folder location/read status/tags/flags/etc) with the GUI. It can be quite frighting how many people don't understand that if they don't maintain their personal machines/or worse loose a laptop their mail is then gone. We realize that the technical minded people out there under stand that risk - but we'd rather not run the risk. Perhaps a 2nd 'are you sure?' prompt will be implemented before the backup is so we can turn that feature back on - as I do realize there are legitimate reasons & people out there with limited quotas.

Backup solutions for now include:

Copying the entire zdesktop/store/ folder at the minimum & really should grab the entire zdesktop/ folder + keep a copy of that version's installer handy.

Or you can grab all items by localhost:7633/service/home/~/?fmt=zip&query=is:anywhere (replace ~ with user@domain.com if you have more than one account)

We build REST access into everything:
    REST update Zimbra :: Blog
    Building Web Services the REST Way

Last edited by mmorse; 07-25-2008 at 05:46 PM.