Thread: [SOLVED] Persona in Zimbra desktop

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Persona in Zimbra desktop

I am very thankful to jjzhuang who promptly responded to all my posts. One of the reply was having a reference to creating a persona in Zimbra desktop. I have the following questions on using persona ?

If I add a Persona to an account, that gives me one more email address to use in From field while sending messages. I will appreciate if the following doubts can be clarified.

a) Does adding a persona work exactly same as address guard addresses in yahoo.com web account (once I manually create all the address guard addresses from which I want to send emails) ?
    b) Does the default options while creating a persona ensure that the reply to the mail sent from the persona comes back to the persona and not to the email to the main account address. I see additional fields that can be used while creating the persona for having a different reply-to email ?
    c) When do I use the "Use this persona" fields ? What is the default behaviour if do not change anything except Persona Name and From fields.
    d) Is the Persona attached to the same account or is available for all the accounts (e.g. If I have configured Zimbra for ymail.com as well as yahoo.com and add persona to yahoo account, does it affect ymail.com account in any way ?

a) i'm actually not familiar with address guard feature, so maybe someone else on the forum can chime in.

b) if you send email using a persona other than the primary account email, recipient will not even see your primary address. therefore their reply can only come back addressing the used persona. if you use reply-to setting of a persona, then replies will go to that email address.

c) default behavior? not sure i understand the question.

d) current implementation limits all identities to its own account scope. this may change in a future release, but will remain so for 1.0 release.

The Yahoo! address guard feature is the ability to create many email addresses such as addresses for a specific recipients. An example would be myusername-amazon@yahoo.com for email sent to Amazon.com. You can choose to have it a receive only email address or send and receive. We you start receiving spam to the custom email address, you can delete it and change to another.

ok, our personas don't have any automatic selection. you'll have to select which persona to use when you compose an initial email.

Default Persona does not mask Primary Account

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    b) if you send email using a persona other than the primary account email, recipient will not even see your primary address. therefore their reply can only come back addressing the used persona. if you use reply-to setting of a persona, then replies will go to that email address.
    Actually, this is not the case. I just upgraded to Desktop 7.1.2 on Kubuntu 11.10 OnericOcelot and have a Gmail account I am sending from with an alias Persona to a Yahoogroup listserv.

I get a bounced message back from the postmaster noting undeliverable and my Gmail email address is being used.

Here is how it is received in my Zimbra NE instance:
    Code:
    Sender: DogPAC SF <dogpacsf@gmail.com>
    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
    To: brucew@alcoholjustice.org
    Subject: Test from DP 5
    If I send to myself an email from ZDesktop in that Gmail account using the Persona I created, the headers show that the email was sent from the Gmail address "on behalf of" the Persona. So, the masking function of the Persona is not working properly.

This is replicateable every time.
    Last edited by bmw; 10-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Default Zimbra desktop persona does work like address guard

a) It allows mails to be sent from any persona that has been created (just like address guard email id if set up to allow to send mails also)
    b) Mails received on a specific persona (or address guard email id) when replied / forwarded is sent from the same persona (or address guard email id)
    c) For received mails to specific address guard email id, it comes either to inbox or gets delivered to a specific mailbox specified while setting up the address guard email id. Both inbox / any other folders gets synch'd with Zimbra desktop.
    d) If you delete an address guard email address from yahoo, the persona for the same needs to be deleted from Zimbra desktop to keep it compatible.

It would be better if the extra email address were in sync.