Thread: Deleting emails from server upon download??

Question Deleting emails from server upon download??

I've just downloaded Zimba and love the email, but one problem - when my email syncs it pulls emails off of the server again. I've gone to the setup and the checkbox under "send/receive mail" that reads "Delete messages on the server after downloading them" is grayed out - HELP?

I'm using a Comcast POP/SMTP account - everything else is working great

thanks
    Last edited by toadymac; 08-02-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toadymac View Post
    I've just downloaded Zimba and love the email, but one problem - when my email syncs it pulls emails off of the server again. I've gone to the setup and the checkbox under "send/receive mail" that reads "Delete messages on the server after downloading them" is grayed out - HELP?
    Welcome to the forums,

We have this intentionally disabled/grayed out till there's a simpler backup method to export MIME (the message content) & Metadata (folder location/read status/tags/flags/etc) with the GUI. It can be quite frighting how many people don't understand that if they don't maintain their personal machines/or worse loose a laptop their mail is then gone. We realize that the technical minded people out there understand - but determined we'd rather not run the risk. Perhaps a 2nd 'are you sure?' prompt will be implemented before the backup is so we can turn that feature back on - as I do realize there are legitimate reasons & people out there with limited quotas.

Backup solutions for now include:

Copying the entire zdesktop/store/ folder at the minimum & really should grab the entire zdesktop/ folder + keep a copy of that version's installer handy.

Or you can grab all items by localhost:7633/service/home/~/?fmt=zip&query=is:anywhere (replace ~ with user@domain.com if you have more than one account)

We build REST access into everything:
    REST update » Zimbra :: Blog
    Building Web Services the REST Way

Quote Originally Posted by toadymac View Post
    I'm using a Comcast POP/SMTP account - everything else is working great
    Actually Comcast will be entirely powered by Zimbra shortly, so you could add it as a ZCS account type when you're migrated. Comcast + Zimbra = Future of Unified Messaging » Zimbra :: Blog