Thread: Offline and synchronization

Hybrid View

Default Offline and synchronization

I have a few problems regarding Zimbra Desktop.

1) I don't seem to be able to work offline! What I mean is if I start up my laptop offline and open Zimbra Desktop things work OK. Mail I write cannot be sent but ends up in the Outbox; good! But If I disconnect the network cable Zimbra Desktop stalls and continually informs that it could not connect to the server.

2) I cannot get Zimbra Desktop to synchronize the calendar with the server. Bookings made online are not reflected on the Desktop and vise versa.

3) Also I discovered a simular problem with E-mail. Mail sent from the Desktop does not show up in the Sent folder. Not in either Desktop or Web client. Mail sent from the Web client shows up in both clients.

In all cases I have clicked on the respective Sychronization button.

We are using Zimbra server (Collaboration suite) on Ubuntu as our mail server.

Has anybody experienced these problems and have a fix for them?

Thanks!

Hi,

For (3) there seems to be a few posts out there talking about it being a bug that is fixed but not QA checked (or something like that) so hasnt made it back to the main release. I have the same problem and its stopping me from using Zimbra "full time".

For (1) I have the same problem as well (I am using 0.9 (build 1251)). The software (Prism?) does not seem to be able to detect that my laptop has gone offline.

I have made a few tests:
    test A) with network working, start Zimbra and successfully connects, disable network, then try to "Get Mail" or drag mail to different mailboxes. I get a few messages to say it cannot connect. All these time the connection icon remains green.

test B) with network disabled, I start Zimbra, the connection icon initially is green but a few seconds later turns to red (which I guess means Zimbra is officially in offline mode). I can then read mail or move them around between folders. When I connect to network again (icon turns green, I then click on "Get Mail") the moving/deleting/etc are "commited" to the server - just like it should.

test C) same as test B except I dont click on the "Get Mail" after enabling network again. The icon sits there as red icon for a long time, but eventually (after about 5 minutes) the red turns into that rotating thing to indicate its trying to connect, and eventually turns green again and picks up any new mail I got.

So it seems like there is a bug somewhere that doesnt detect that it should switch to offline mode and consequently keeps spitting out error messages - when instead it should just go to offline mode (maybe with a ballon popup to say that its gone offline).

Any Zimbraians care to comment?

you are correct that the not-save-to-sent issue has been fixed.

regarding nextwork connectivity, in it's current implementation we only detect whether the connection is up at the next sync, so it's not going to be instantanenous.

if my "send/receive mail" is set to "every minute" it should mean it should detect connection down within 2 minutes of network disconnection. However the error message (for test A) comes up if I try to move mail around hours after the network is disconnected.