Thread: Desktop feature request

Default Desktop feature request

I work for a university that has just moved to a Zimbra system. I have some faculty trying out the Zimbra Desktop application to see if it would meet their needs over Outlook, which some of the IT staff would like to get rid of.

Here are some comments I have received thus far:

*Need the ability to set up shared calendars, invite users to calendars, and accept shares from this app.

*Spell check...no need to say more

*This may be a "Zimbra as a Whole" issue: Need to have a return receipt option.

*Would it be possible to have the option to show a short list of your tasks on the email interface, just above the calendar?

That is all I have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDean View Post
    *Need the ability to set up shared calendars, invite users to calendars, and accept shares from this app.
    Bug 26170 - Cannot accept shares using Zimbra Desktop
    Bug 19182 - Support sync'ing shared folders (mail, contacts, calendar...) in zimbra desktop

*Spell check...no need to say more
    Bug 23112 - support spell check
    What your seeing with red underlines is the prism browser dictionary, we plan to fix that then add our aspell built-in.

*This may be a "Zimbra as a Whole" issue: Need to have a return receipt option.
    Bug 7257 - Support read receipts and delivery reports in webmail
    Further out: Bug 12852 - Track and show status of email
    *Would it be possible to have the option to show a short list of your tasks on the email interface, just above the calendar?
    You could file an RFE in Bugzilla if you'd like - most just want a 'today' screen: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...s-layouts.html
    Vote for Bug 24551 - Home Tab GA - Requested Layouts & Features

Thank you for the wonderful response...glad to hear all of these are being looked at and worked on! I will keep an eye on this stuff and hopefully we can get our users out of the Outlook mindset.

I found one more item...again, this may already be pointed out and I am being redundant, but I did not see it unless it is described in a different way.

*On the Zimbra Desktop I have my local contacts listed but there is no option to view the global address book that is available through the web interface.

Thanks again...you guys are wizards at finding those in bugzilla...lol

Hope to see some of these in versions soon!

Prism spellcheck has been fixed in the just released build 1278, so that it will now suggest words (it previously just underlined): Bug 30610 - Spellcheck suggests don't work in email editor

Aspell/or other solution (for all browsers) is another RFE: Bug 23112 - support spell check
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-20-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: wrong link

Default Localising the spell check in ZD

Aspell/or other solution (for all browsers) is another RFE: Bug 23112 - support spell check
    Any update on when this might be released?

In the mean time, do you know of a work around to localise the browser based spell check in ZD - e.g. is it possible to install extensions like in Firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by marcg View Post
    In the mean time, do you know of a work around to localise the browser based spell check in ZD - e.g. is it possible to install extensions like in Firefox?
    I would like to know that as well. Currently only English text is spell checked by prism. I you write in any other language you only get red underlined words in the desktop client. Thats not really attractive to users. At least I would prefer to switch of the prism spell checking entirely.

Regards
    Thomas

We just posted an instruction on how to install other dictionaries we support. We may try to make the installation easier in the future (like how you would do it on FF), but for now, it requires a few manual steps.

Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki